Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The research is over (I ordered my parts)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The research is over (I ordered my parts)

The heads are being built...(5.3 with ~60cc, 2.02"/1.55")

I ordered the PRC cam kit from Futral with an F14-112-0

I'm looking for a set of 4:10s to install also, I'll be throwing them in soon.

I also got the mail in tune sheet from Futral and will get the $275 sale price since I bought the cam kit during the sale.

Unless I can find any Predator wizards (volunteers please PM resume ) I'll probably go with the Futral tune.

Thanks to you all for helping me with my research, I'm sure you guys helped me gain an extra 20-30rwhp by influencing my selections.

Also thanks to the gang at Futral, they were very nice to deal with and I have a high level of confidence in their product and knowledge.

Wish me luck

Tim

Last edited by ssheets; 03-15-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a nice setup, let us know how it turns out.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Futral is porting the heads?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by P Mack
Futral is porting the heads?
No, the heads are being custom ported by an un-named resource
Old 03-15-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey do you still talk to that Caveman guy from the SLP board?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss rally red
The Kavedude!! Good people he is. I'll be seeing him in person May 7th.

Otherwise I chat with him often.

He runs Fbodyaddict
Old 03-15-2005, 09:59 PM
11 Second Club

The mail in tune is actually usually pretty accurate.. hard to dial in with heads, but I know your definately going to be happy! I see some big numbers in your future.. my buddy ran 11.65 @ 117 with an ls1 intake, no pulley.. basically just slp headers, ported t.b. and the f14 cam at over 3500# raceweight on the mail order tune, it is a stout cam. Damn thing drives better than stock.. When I rode in it at 1200-1300rpm it wasn't surging.. I am getting him to make a video of the drivability in the near future, hopefully. You won't be disappointed.

Good Luck,
Josh

Last edited by distortion_69; 03-15-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by distortion_69
The mail in tune is actually usually pretty accurate.. hard to dial in with heads, but I know your definately going to be happy! I see some big numbers in your future.. my buddy ran 11.65 @ 117 with an ls1 intake, no pulley.. basically just slp headers, ported t.b. and the f14 cam at over 3500# raceweight on the mail order tune, it is a stout cam. Damn thing drives better than stock.. When I rode in it at 1200-1300rpm it wasn't surging.. I am getting him to make a video of the drivability in the near future, hopefully. You won't be disappointed.

Good Luck,
Josh
I'll get accurate flow numbers from the head builder that should help get the tune pretty close. Pretty close will get me going, I'm not drag racing or anything drastic, I just want a powerful mean sounding toy...I think I'm on the right track
Old 03-16-2005, 12:54 AM
That's what she said...

what kinda rear end? i would never put 4.10's in a 10 bolt with STOCK power, much less the kinda power you are making.

the factory setup will get you by for a while, but it will be on borrowed time i kid you not.

you may read about people dissing 10 bolts all day long, but you will really be a believer when it blows up. my moser 12 bolt was put in after my 10 bolt went, and my 10 bolt never saw anything but 245/50/r16 street tires. it was also sporting only a 3.08 gear (thanks to the previous owner) !!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Did somebody say Kaveman?
Old 03-16-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
what kinda rear end? i would never put 4.10's in a 10 bolt with STOCK power, much less the kinda power you are making.

the factory setup will get you by for a while, but it will be on borrowed time i kid you not.

you may read about people dissing 10 bolts all day long, but you will really be a believer when it blows up. my moser 12 bolt was put in after my 10 bolt went, and my 10 bolt never saw anything but 245/50/r16 street tires. it was also sporting only a 3.08 gear (thanks to the previous owner) !!
What kind of abuse did you put that 10-bolt through?

Just curious because Im raggin on mine till it breaks as an experiment...so far so good...but wanna know what I should expect..

Did it sart sounding funny shortly before it went or was it like outta nowhere [POP!]?

So far so good on mine...mods in sig minus cam swap before with 275/40 BFG DRs, & 01-02 SS rims & many many launches, but never a good burnout then 4K drops...never had to burnout...they stick pretty well just warm.

Maybe 1 clutch dump a month before the cam swap...but that wasnt dumps to get traction, just to get sideways lol. Always feather the clutch out for like .5-1 sec then floor it....prob around 15-25 ft out.<--when racing.

We'll see how it handles the cam and the SPEC in April...Im gonna really test it then...

Thanks..
Old 03-16-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kaveman42
Did somebody say Kaveman?
Glad to see you still have your 02, you probably dont remeber but our cars were delivered within a few days of each other, hom many miles have you racked up?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to see you still have your 02, you probably dont remeber but our cars were delivered within a few days of each other, hom many miles have you racked up?
30K Miles

Are you in California???
Old 03-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Im up to 15K miles. How about you? I think I do remember. Your in the airforce right?

You should come join www.FbodyAddict.com I started that site after SLP got shutdown. You might recognize a few more people.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a healthy cam and a nice set up.

I got my gears from New Era as their price on GM gears was the most competitive I could find.

Keep us posted on progress.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Kaveman42
Im up to 15K miles. How about you? I think I do remember. Your in the airforce right?

You should come join www.FbodyAddict.com I started that site after SLP got shutdown. You might recognize a few more people.
Not in the Air Force I dont think they take 44 year old recruits do they? But I learned a lot about rail road tracking fron ssheets while waiting for my car to come in, I am up to 23K and thought mine was low milage did'nt you have a Fairmont or something as a DD? I will check out that site, although I do consider this place home now

PS Tim best of luck on the H/C install, looking forward to your #'s, I am of course a Futral fan
Old 03-16-2005, 07:25 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by stone4779
What kind of abuse did you put that 10-bolt through?

Just curious because Im raggin on mine till it breaks as an experiment...so far so good...but wanna know what I should expect..

Did it sart sounding funny shortly before it went or was it like outta nowhere [POP!]?

So far so good on mine...mods in sig minus cam swap before with 275/40 BFG DRs, & 01-02 SS rims & many many launches, but never a good burnout then 4K drops...never had to burnout...they stick pretty well just warm.

Maybe 1 clutch dump a month before the cam swap...but that wasnt dumps to get traction, just to get sideways lol. Always feather the clutch out for like .5-1 sec then floor it....prob around 15-25 ft out.<--when racing.

We'll see how it handles the cam and the SPEC in April...Im gonna really test it then...

Thanks..

all i had was exhaust, and CRAPPY 245/50's. and i only had the car for like 10 months before it blew, and the exhaust for like 1 month.

it started making some noise that seemed like it was coming from the tranny, i dropped it to 2nd at about 30mph and listened, it diddnt seem to matter what gear, or engine RPM, only varied with speed, so i knew it was the rear end. i gave the throttle a few burps at 30 in 2nd to listen to it (got louder each time), then it finally blew on the last little throttle blip. broke 8 of the 13 teeth off the ring gear.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Not in the Air Force I dont think they take 44 year old recruits do they? But I learned a lot about rail road tracking fron ssheets while waiting for my car to come in, I am up to 23K and thought mine was low milage did'nt you have a Fairmont or something as a DD? I will check out that site, although I do consider this place home now

PS Tim best of luck on the H/C install, looking forward to your #'s, I am of course a Futral fan
Ya I used to have a 78 Fairmont but we I got rid of it. I have a 95 S10 as my DD now. What state are you in?