Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true dual mufflers?? over the axel??

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default true dual mufflers?? over the axel??

if you have true duals, what mufflers do you have? and where is the best place to get them??? also if you went over the axel, do you have 3 inch, or 2.5???

I am going to be doing true duals, and i want to know what my options are, thanks for the input

jimmy
Old 03-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Go before the axel, less bends equals less restriction. Also, less weight if you don't go over the axel.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kcshaner
Go before the axel, less bends equals less restriction. Also, less weight if you don't go over the axel.
im not really concerned with the weight or restrictions, I have the CME tips and want to continue to use them. Also, my car already has over 400rwhp on stock heads, so power loss due to restitricions will probably not even be noticed, and the weight will be only about 10 pounds.

thanks anyway though, anyone else with regards to my original post???
Old 03-15-2005, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Over the axle is usually done in 2.5" due to space constrictions. Someone makes a panhard bar that relocates so that you can go a full 3". According to the guys on www.frrax.com, if you relocate the UPHR, you will upset the balance of the car for cornering. So if you DR mostly, sounds fine. I don't have first hand experience so you could search about what I'm talking about. Some people who have 'dumps' after a year have complained of clothes smelling like exhaust etc. and fumes in the car. Others could care less about that. www.Texas-speed.com makes a system. www.Stainlessworks.net will make you one as well. Mufflers? Do a search, it's talked about weekly on this board for a year now. Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

I have the Flo-Pro Twister mufflers in my true duals that Lane made me. They exit under the car, but I have seen people run them out the back over the axle and also some run them under the axle.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Teching In

Mine dual consists of SLP LT's into a Flotech X into Dynomax Bullet 4" mufflers dumped before the axle. 3" all the way.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:29 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there was a pretty recent post with a guy who had a true dual system out the back w/ CME. it looked AWESOME! i'm pretty sure he payed a pretty penny for it but it was one of the nicest i've seen.

CME is the only way i would have exhaust out the back on a camaro.

his post had all kinda pictures etc., do a search or maby he will chime in.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, i seen his post, but couldn't find what he had done as far as mufflers go

and as for the 3in all the way back, i already have the BMR relocation pan hard bar, and reading off their website, it says for "true 3 in duals over the axel"
Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm getting Lane's duals with Flopro Twisters, and I'm taking it UNDER the axle.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

where can i buy flopro's? i like the sound of them
Old 03-15-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not sure, talk to Lane. Mine are part of his system, I don't really know where to buy them separate.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Did someone say they wanted to see a ridiculously expensive exhaust??? Well, you are in luck...

3" into the X, 2.5" after. Sound clips are over on LS1Sounds.com, listed under "'02 SS, Kooks LTs, ORX" and at the end it will say "Speed Inc. True Duals" or something to that effect.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ahh, but the mufflers?? THE MUFFLERS??? Theyre magnaflow 5" round "bullets" right? Why'd you go with the bullets as opposed to the 4x9's?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Ahh, but the mufflers?? THE MUFFLERS??? Theyre magnaflow 5" round "bullets" right? Why'd you go with the bullets as opposed to the 4x9's?
The mufflers (yes, the MUFFLERS) are listed by part number on LS1Sounds.com. They are Magnaflow bullets, 4" O.D., 2.5" in/outlet, part number 10416.

I originally wanted a 4x9 style muffler, but to fit it in that area, you either have to bang the **** out of the t-top storage area, or tilt them. These just fit better, and now that I have them, I'm glad I didn't go with something larger. To me, my car has the perfect volume. It is loud, but not too loud...at least not to me.

Speed Inc. actually recommended these mufflers. They have had good luck with them in the past, and they had good luck here.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Really? It looks like 4x9s would fit. What about the new 11" 4x9s with the same-side offset, which you could mount vertically... I guess the round just makes it way easier. Im glad I found this out now before i ordered the 4x9s. Thanks for the info, and sorry for jacking this thread.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Really? It looks like 4x9s would fit. What about the new 11" 4x9s with the same-side offset, which you could mount vertically... I guess the round just makes it way easier. Im glad I found this out now before i ordered the 4x9s. Thanks for the info, and sorry for jacking this thread.
4x9s fit flat if you bang the **** out of the t-top storage area...otherwise, you must tilt them. No two ways about it. There isn't as much room around there as you would think.

The round mufflers just look clean...how much sound you can tolerate is up to you. LS1Sounds should give you a good idea with my setup...it really isn't as loud as I thought it would be.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

well, right now, im running four 12" bullets to try and cut down on the drone on my under-axle setup, and its still pretty loud. Maybe Id be better suited running the 6" rounds instead, and if it needed to be louder, I could always extend a few extra inches of 2.5" pipe into the muffler to block the perforations on the inside... effectively shortening the muffler.

Again, sorry to jack this thread, but atleast its giving you some more muffler ideas...

Thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
4x9s fit flat if you bang the **** out of the t-top storage area...otherwise, you must tilt them. No two ways about it. There isn't as much room around there as you would think.

The round mufflers just look clean...how much sound you can tolerate is up to you. LS1Sounds should give you a good idea with my setup...it really isn't as loud as I thought it would be.

after measuring under there, I agree with MeentSS02, you would have to bang the **** out of the storage area. and as he stated, there really isnt too much room.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished my true duals over the axle with Magnaflow 4x9 (PN 11366). MeentSS02 is correct, you have to tilt them to get them to fit without banging the floorpan. These mufflers have an 11" body, which is 3" shorter than Magnaflow's standard 4x9's. I chose them for that reason, and the extra 3" definately helps back there. As far as looks are concerned when you tilt the mufflers, I think they look OK. I tried to set them as far forward as possible to minimize their visibility, and I am going to paint them black to help more. PM me your email address for some pics, or check back late next week for a thread with some pics.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Launching!

MeentSS02 Your car so DAMN Good!