Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Tuning Problem!! Please Help!!!

Old 03-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Tuning Problem!! Please Help!!!

I have a 02 WS6 M6. I installed a MTI C2 (224/224, .581/.581, 112) cam in my car about 3 weeks ago. I also have an SLP flow pac and LM cat-back. I took my car to a tuner and when I got their, after he had already insured me that he could fix the idle and tune it, he couldn't do anything with the idle. He thought that he could fix the idle with my programmer. If I had that option I would have done it myself. Considering I don't have headers yet, the car is still running rich after the tune and is as lean as he could get it. (With my programmer!!) He messed with the screw on my throttle body to try and fix the idle but did nothing.(1 full turn) After I came home I did drill the throttle body hole out to 3/16 which isn't to much bigger than stock. The car seemed to start up good but when I stopped at a red light it would idle at about 1300 rpm's for a while and then settle at 800. I turned the screwed back down about a half a turn and the car seemed to run pretty good. Now after a week the car is getting worse on start ups and today I started getting misfire codes again. What should I do?? Should I make the hole a little bigger??? I know I can go up to a 1/4 inch. Please help!!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TARyan21
I have a 02 WS6 M6. I installed a MTI C2 (224/224, .581/.581, 112) cam in my car about 3 weeks ago. I also have an SLP flow pac and LM cat-back. I took my car to a tuner and when I got their, after he had already insured me that he could fix the idle and tune it, he couldn't do anything with the idle. He thought that he could fix the idle with my programmer. If I had that option I would have done it myself. Considering I don't have headers yet, the car is still running rich after the tune and is as lean as he could get it. (With my programmer!!) He messed with the screw on my throttle body to try and fix the idle but did nothing.(1 full turn) After I came home I did drill the throttle body hole out to 3/16 which isn't to much bigger than stock. The car seemed to start up good but when I stopped at a red light it would idle at about 1300 rpm's for a while and then settle at 800. I turned the screwed back down about a half a turn and the car seemed to run pretty good. Now after a week the car is getting worse on start ups and today I started getting misfire codes again. What should I do?? Should I make the hole a little bigger??? I know I can go up to a 1/4 inch. Please help!!!!
I assume you know that a hand held programmer will work. I am sure you are talking about your software with ls1 edit or hp tuners..... right?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Staging Lane

not exactly...i am a newbie!!! I thought that there was software that the tuner would use to wirte a tune, send it to the programmer and then load it to my car with the programmer. There isn't a tune on the programmer for a cam, only a performance tune. If this makes any sense to you??? Please let me know what I have to do to get my car to start up and idle without having to feather the gas and stop without it dying. I don't have ls1 edit or hp tuners. Thanks, I appreciate it!!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think one of the handheld tuners will help your idle much. your bigger cam is overlaping and your getting oxygen in the exhaust so the o2 sensors think the mixture is lean and they overcompenstate...so you run rich. You have to reduce the ve tables to the point that the o2 sensors cannot change the mixture as much as they want to. Change the columns for 400 800 1200. This will be even worse than now when you install headers. Add 5 to 10 degrees more timing in at idle also. Increasing the timing will actually take some of the lope out of the cam.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

the handheld you have is the predator right? it's the only handheld i know of that you can download tuens to for uploading to the pcm.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:15 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NO Don't drill the hole any bigger. Just change your plugs they are getting fuel fouled from running ritch. And then get your car professionally tunned. You can do it with a Preditor but it takes a lot of work and time and you need to know what you are looking at. So it is my opinion that if you don't and you don't have anyone local that has LS1 edit to order a mail order tune. MTI and a lot of other sponsers do also.
Jeff
Old 03-16-2005, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

What about a mail order tune from RWTD??? $125 for unlimited tuning, just tell them what you have and they'll write it. Anyone delt with them before??
Old 03-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

anyone else???
Old 03-17-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have made a pretty substantial change and investment. The consequences of getting it wrong could be very expensive. I would contact a supporting tuner who is close to you and get the car done properly. It won't be as cheap as $125, but there is too much at risk to do this half way. I thought about buying LS1Edit and learning how to do it, but I used a local tuner (who is on this forum) and the results were perfect, he knew exactly what to do and I have a car I don't have to worry about. Not sure who is local to you, but I am sure others in your area can recommend a tuner.

Search this Thread