PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What scan tool/tuner to buy

Old 03-16-2005, 07:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What scan tool/tuner to buy

Got a newbie question for everyone. I would like to view only what is going on with my car. If I need anything done with a tune I will leave that to the professionals. I like what auto tap view but do not have a laptop or palm. Are there any hand held scan tools that I can view/delete codes, spark knock, coolant temp, O2 numbers etc... you get the picture. Is the scan master any good? I had one on a T Type I used to own some years ago and it seemed to do all of this. I am new to the LS1 and my background for the last 18 years is tuning my big block Chevelle, carb and distributor, the old fashioned way.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 07:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only hand helds that i know of that cna show info are predator and probably vinci...but for that your spending $400 anywayz. Not sure if scan master offers anything for obd2...maybe someone else can jump in on that one.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Launching!

Looked a little further into the Scanmaster and it looks like it does everything I am looking for. There will also be a data logging feature for it in the future. Has anyone run one or should I look into something else? My guess is simple and easy to use just like the one for the turbo Buick. I also found a place that sells them for $249.00 I would just like to get some opinions on it first before buying one.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:56 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TOOSLO5
Looked a little further into the Scanmaster and it looks like it does everything I am looking for. There will also be a data logging feature for it in the future. Has anyone run one or should I look into something else? My guess is simple and easy to use just like the one for the turbo Buick. I also found a place that sells them for $249.00 I would just like to get some opinions on it first before buying one.
why not buy a cheap used laptop with some real software like efilive or autotap at least?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Launching!

The main reason for not going that route is cost unless I was looking at the wrong autotap kit. I like the looks of it, ease of viewing, and its datalogging capabilities but I think the overall initial cost would be much higher. In the long run if I want to do some tuning efilive would be the way to go, that is also what my car was tuned with. I also noticed a GP for a software package that would give me the same viewing as autotap for much less, but I would still need to purchase a laptop.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:36 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The HP Tuners setup costs $499 and comes with advanced scan tool capabilities.

www.hptuners.com
Old 03-16-2005, 11:34 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The main reason for not going that route is cost unless I was looking at the wrong autotap kit. I like the looks of it, ease of viewing, and its datalogging capabilities but I think the overall initial cost would be much higher. In the long run if I want to do some tuning efilive would be the way to go, that is also what my car was tuned with. I also noticed a GP for a software package that would give me the same viewing as autotap for much less, but I would still need to purchase a laptop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...752102133&rd=1

$260 laptop

i sold my autotap about a year ago for ~$150 shipped after i bought hptuners and realized their scanner was much better...so figure $400 you'd have a laptop thats pretty capable of whatever you need and some decent tuning software rather then some box with limited scanning capabilities. If you cant afford an extra $150 on keeping your car in one piece you probably should buy a honda. OH and that laptop would be more then capable of running hptuners
Old 03-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Right now I am more interested in just being able to view data rather than have the tuning capabilities . I like to know whats going on other than just what the dash tells me. It looks like the GP on the proscan software and a used lap top might be the way to go for the time being. The proscan software seems to show all of the data I am interested in. The EFIlive looks nice but how do you view the data? Do you have to record it in the black box and then take it to your desk top to view? I am not opposed to the laptop and autotap, efilive or any other tuning tool just looking for something less expensive than $750 give or take for a laptop plus the software. Between the tires I just purchased and the 8 rib pulley set up I am looking at for my procharger the wife will have a heart attack. Oh, almost forgot, you will never see my buying a honda unless its at gun point,LOL!!. Nothing but good old American power in my garage right down to the wifes minivan.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Some good points were just brought up in the post "is HP tuners for me" that I did not think of. Now I dont know what to do!! Anyone else got some more input to confuse me further.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

there have been several autotap setups go for 100-150 and along with the laptop i gave you a link for would be a great combination for JUST datalogging...the problem i see with the proscan at this point is the fact that it doesnt scan KR as of yet...which is pretty important IMHO.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Thanks, KR is very important to be able to view. Dont want to rattle a FI motor with stock pistons. Is that $100-150 range what has been sold used? I dont have a problem buying used software if I can save a couple of hundred bucks. If thats the case a used lap top from e bay and the software is not a bad price. Might only give the wife some minor heart palipatations instead of the full blown grabber! I am trying to keep the $$ expenditure down now before I hit her up for a F1R and fast system for the 502 in my Chevelle!
Old 03-16-2005, 02:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1372956
Old 03-16-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn... looking through some of those... lots of incorrect info floating around about LS1 Edit... 100 for new vin, 50 for handling, 50 for software upgrade (they say required if you're out of the service period) ... some are selling edit for 225 ... for another 25 may as well get a brand new one lol... (or for 500 get HP Tuners with 2 licenses that aren't VIN locked and a kickass scanner)
Old 03-16-2005, 03:03 PM
Launching!

Looks like I need to hang out in the parts for sale section! I did not know however you need a year specific autotap though. Thanks for all of the info!
Old 03-16-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like I need to hang out in the parts for sale section! I did not know however you need a year specific autotap though. Thanks for all of the info!
You don't, you just want autotap for a GM card with Enhanced Parameters

LS1 Edit = Year locked (actually vin locked, so costs 200 bux to add a VIN if it's out of the license agreement period)

Autotap = Not VIN locked

There are also 2 versions of Autotap

Autotap Version 1 will work with the old MS DOS based software, the original windows 1.0 version (crappy) and the windows 1.11 version (still not great but big improvement)

Version 1.0 will also work with the 2.0 version of the windows software

However the Version 2 cable supports significantly higher sampling rates (more logs per second) but will only work with the version 2.0 software (and I think requires a license key for atap v2 software)
Old 03-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the info, can you tell I am not very familiar with either of these!
Old 03-16-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

TooSlo5 - Scanning/Tuning should be approached the same way you approach modding your car. If you want a 9 second car, it makes better sense to buy the 9 second parts, rather than buying the 12 second parts then buying the 9 second parts...

Anyhow, If you are sure you will not want to do any tuning, then the $250 for a stand alone scanner is not that bad a deal. But when you start to figure the cost of getting the car tuned the way you want, it might make better sense to make the investment in a cheap laptop and HPT or EFIlive Flashscan.

my $0.02
Old 03-17-2005, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Thanks, I agree, I only want to do this once rather than kick myself down the road. I may have a line a CHEAP laptop through a buddy of mine so I may go the EFIlive or another software route its just which one to get. I am however a little leary about tuning the car myself due to the procharger but it would be nice to have the option down the road. Is there a product out there I can view data only and add the tuning option on at a later date? Can a scan tool such at autotap be used on multiple vehicles such as my 01' Silverado along with my 98 TA? Also, which program is the most user friendly. Everyone seems to have a different opinion about what to go with. At the same time my car is black and yours may be red, just a matter of preference and what you like!

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 03-17-2005, 09:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Thanks, I agree, I only want to do this once rather than kick myself down the road. I may have a line a CHEAP laptop through a buddy of mine so I may go the EFIlive or another software route its just which one to get. I am however a little leary about tuning the car myself due to the procharger but it would be nice to have the option down the road. Is there a product out there I can view data only and add the tuning option on at a later date? Can a scan tool such at autotap be used on multiple vehicles such as my 01' Silverado along with my 98 TA? Also, which program is the most user friendly. Everyone seems to have a different opinion about what to go with. At the same time my car is black and yours may be red, just a matter of preference and what you like!

Thanks again to everyone!
if i were you I'd probably go ahead and get hptuners std. version...you get 2 licenses so you could get one for the TA & one for the silverado the scanner should work on 99% of gm obd2 vehicles just fine. As far as viewing the data you could download your stock file and play with that till you really think your ready to tune. Then when you truely get serious you can upgrade to the enhanced version and possibly the 2 or 3 bar setup.

have fun.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
the only hand helds that i know of that cna show info are predator and probably vinci...
predator yes, vinci/crane no.

Search this Thread