Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Look At This Center Section!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Look At This Center Section!

What do you guys think of this center section?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Only $400 plus shipping seems extremely tempting!

There website is http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com/ and they sell them their for the same price, think it could stand up to some abuse? BTW what the heck is the difference between a full and mini spool?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a ford 9" with <31 spline axles?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

I have a 9" bolt in housing and moser 31 spline axles on their way. Just looking for a good center section to install allong with them. You can upgrade from the mini spool in it to a full spool for 100 bucks it says on their website.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Okay... I didnt know if you were a noob who wanted to beef up his stock 10 bolt with ford parts sorry for that assumption.

Anyway, im unclear on the difference between a minispool and a full spool, but 400 for a whole center section seems nice. Seems like you might save a couple buck off a prebuilt 9" this way... Let us know how it works out for you. Id still want a posi personally though.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either mini or full spool will suck on the street. Some guys here will tell you different but spools were never intended for daily street use. Taking a corner will make one tire break loose and squeal like a pig. The price will be good bit higher if you add a posi unit to that deal.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a good explaination of spools and mini spools from Randy's Ring & Pinion:

Spools & Mini Spools:
For racing, serious off-road, or crazy hot-rodders, a spool is the ultimate traction differential. Actually, it can hardly be called a differential because it does not differentiate. Spools have several purposes. First, they lock both left and right axles solid together so that there can be no loss of power due one wheel spinning faster than the other. Second, they usually support the ring gear much better than most other differentials. Last, they can be lighter than a differential, which saves rotating mass as well as un-sprung weight that the suspension has to contain.

The main shortcoming of spools is the fact that the outside wheel has to turn faster when negotiating a turn if both wheels are to maintain traction. If the axles are locked together, one or both wheels have to slip in order for the outside wheel to travel farther than the inside wheel. This can cause the rear of the vehicle to spin out, fish-tale, or can cause a lot of noise that sounds like positraction clutch chatter as the axles twist and release. Sometimes these effects are not all that bad, and they are less severe when 35-spline or larger axles are used. For those people on a budget, there are mini-spools available for many rearend designs. A mini-spool fits inside the standard open carrier, replacing the spider gears, and locking the left and right axle shafts together just like a spool does. A mini spool drives exactly like a full spool does, but they are not as strong as a full spool and do not add any extra support to the ring gear like a spool does.
http://www.randysringandpinion.net/c...lt.asp?pid=128
Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the read... i kind of figured it went inside an existing carrier, as there was no place to mount the ring pinion .
Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

yeah but anyone running a decent amount of power will find there posi in a nine inch crubmbled into dust in no time. So its either a locker or a spool and I was recommended a spool because lockers tend to jump a lot when you are shifting an m6 an so on.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

theres no torque arm mount with the above listed unit...
Old 03-16-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think this is a custom fabricated application. Kakarot2569 seems to be building this himself from what I gather... If thats the case, im very interested to see how this goes.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

the torque arm mount is on the housing from what I understand, or when i get my housing it will be coming with one.