Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Oregon people inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oregon people inside

i'll be moving to oregon in early july, so i thought i'd see if you guys could tell me some things

are there emissions there, if so how strict?
how's the street racing scene?
how are the winters?
i'll be in the portland area, any 1/4mile tracks close by?
how bout LS1 performance shops?

anything else you'd like to let me know bout welcome

thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madpwr1
i'll be moving to oregon in early july, so i thought i'd see if you guys could tell me some things

are there emissions there, if so how strict?
how's the street racing scene?
how are the winters?
i'll be in the portland area, any 1/4mile tracks close by?
how bout LS1 performance shops?

anything else you'd like to let me know bout welcome

thanks
Emissions: depends on the County, I think. With some computer programming or O2 sims, it doesn matter on our cars anyways. They just plug in. My exhaust was burning my eyes and they still passed it... then failed it for noise :-/

Street Racing: Personally, Im not a big fan... so I can't help much. In Portland here theres a Starbucks out in Beaverton that folks like to hang out at Fri/Sat evenings. Thats from the Mustang crowd though. Not alot of F-bodies up here.

Winters: Normally long and rainy... but this year CA got all our rain (all the floods, landslides, etc... thats our normal weather, but we can take it)... so it's been a goofed up winter here this year. Its been beautiful and sunny. Kind of weird.

1/4 mile tracks: Two, one essentially in town (Portland International Raceway...PIR) and one south of here a few miles called Woodburn. PIR has weekend night test-n-tune that goes quite late. Loads of imports though. *I* personally dont mind the track.... I can run a 1.64 60 with a stock longblock Mustang. Some people claim Woodburn is faster. Whatever. Woodburn is open during the day on Weekends... PIR usually becomes a road course during the daylight hours (and a very nice one at that).

LS1 Performance shops:
Robert Judd ("Gen 3 Performance") is very good... and comes highly recommended from a multitude of people. And he is about it for the entire NW in my opinion. Fortunately, he is in Portland. On the other hand, there isnt much on these engines a person with a garage and some good tools can't do themselves, IMHO. For transmissions, clutches, etc, the guy named Ellis Groo on this board is the go-to guy. He is in NW WA though.

Good luck. Welcome to a really cool place
Old 03-16-2005, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah portland and seattle have both been cracking down on the street racing scenes. I used to go quite often up here but don't anymore mainly because it's mostly a bunch of kids in imports that just act stupid and bring un-needed attention.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heres a website that might help you with emissions Oregon DOT
Old 03-16-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

You will see a bunch of us Camaro owners racing down i-5 come july 31st lol all with washington state plates as we race down (90+MPH) to Reno for Hot Aug nights.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Visceral
Emissions: depends on the County, I think. With some computer programming or O2 sims, it doesn matter on our cars anyways. They just plug in. My exhaust was burning my eyes and they still passed it... then failed it for noise :-/
doesn't seem too bad

Street Racing: Personally, Im not a big fan... so I can't help much. In Portland here theres a Starbucks out in Beaverton that folks like to hang out at Fri/Sat evenings. Thats from the Mustang crowd though. Not alot of F-bodies up here.
anything that gets down is good enough for me

Winters: Normally long and rainy... but this year CA got all our rain (all the floods, landslides, etc... thats our normal weather, but we can take it)... so it's been a goofed up winter here this year. Its been beautiful and sunny. Kind of weird.
FLOODS??!! LANDSLIDES??!! ...

1/4 mile tracks: Two, one essentially in town (Portland International Raceway...PIR) and one south of here a few miles called Woodburn. PIR has weekend night test-n-tune that goes quite late. Loads of imports though. *I* personally dont mind the track.... I can run a 1.64 60 with a stock longblock Mustang. Some people claim Woodburn is faster. Whatever. Woodburn is open during the day on Weekends... PIR usually becomes a road course during the daylight hours (and a very nice one at that).
not bad

LS1 Performance shops:
Robert Judd ("Gen 3 Performance") is very good... and comes highly recommended from a multitude of people. And he is about it for the entire NW in my opinion. Fortunately, he is in Portland. On the other hand, there isnt much on these engines a person with a garage and some good tools can't do themselves, IMHO. For transmissions, clutches, etc, the guy named Ellis Groo on this board is the go-to guy. He is in NW WA though.

Good luck. Welcome to a really cool place
i don't need any work done, my car is ready to rock ... usually a ls1 shop would mean lots of ls1's in the area

thanks for the welcome
Old 03-16-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Yeah portland and seattle have both been cracking down on the street racing scenes. I used to go quite often up here but don't anymore mainly because it's mostly a bunch of kids in imports that just act stupid and bring un-needed attention.
can't be worse than it's gotten in IL ... "Street Racing Task Force"

you can't stop ricers, that problem exists everywhere
Old 03-16-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
You will see a bunch of us Camaro owners racing down i-5 come july 31st lol all with washington state plates as we race down (90+MPH) to Reno for Hot Aug nights.
care to elaborate? ... what's "Hot Aug nights"? ... i've heard of "Hot Import Nights", but that's not something i'd see a bunch of real camaro owners at.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Kent/Renton have street racing task forces. I'm sure portland does as well. I just do the occasional highway run every once in a while anymore.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 PM
12 Second Club

care to elaborate? ... what's "Hot Aug nights"? ... i've heard of "Hot Import Nights", but that's not something i'd see a bunch of real camaro owners at.
hot august nights is a hot rod show if I remember right. came long before hot import nights.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Regular

Hot August nights is a huge hot rod car show in Reno Nevada. Tjwong is a great LSx tuner and has a mustang dyno. PIR also has 1/8 mile drags on Wednesday nights.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rockin C Racing
Hot August nights is a huge hot rod car show in Reno Nevada. Tjwong is a great LSx tuner and has a mustang dyno. PIR also has 1/8 mile drags on Wednesday nights.
OK get it right its a 5000 Classic car show week long only cars are pre 73 American & Europen only. NO Ricers or what have you.

Its really kewl to go down & see streets lined with these cars. Also they have car shows all over the place. at Summit racing supply (its kewl to go in there & order stuff & then have it shipped home)
Old 03-16-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

krazzycowgirl - WHAT IS THIS!!!??? ... and you got any pics from the back? ... i have never seen anyone put a T/A wing on a camaro
Old 03-16-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is my husbands car at Super chevy in 02 lol & NO there is NO Trans am hatch on that car lol. The hatch is slightly left open for judging as required for the show lol.

We have some rear pic of the car but not on our website.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

good questions...

i'm moving up to portland next week.

from reno, NV... i still have pics from hot august nights last year if anyone wants them.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nathan
good questions...

from reno, NV... i still have pics from hot august nights last year if anyone wants them.
We were there last year lol drove around in a blue w/ white racing strip 70 Chevelle vert
Old 03-17-2005, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
That is my husbands car at Super chevy in 02 lol & NO there is NO Trans am hatch on that car lol. The hatch is slightly left open for judging as required for the show lol.

We have some rear pic of the car but not on our website.
lol ... from that angle it looked like it had a T/A wing and callin it "ZHAWK" ... well it's good to know you didn't massacre the car like that
Old 03-17-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nathan
good questions...

could you shoot me over some pics to madpwr1@gmail.com ... would like to see how it is, maybe show up if it looks good

thanks
Old 03-17-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

all the pics i have are uploaded.. so i'll just list a few here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1195.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1199.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1200.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1201.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1202.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1203.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1205.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1204.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1209.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1214.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1208.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1227.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/DSCF1240.jpg

i took around 100 pics.. but mainly from the peppermill and hilton parking lots

there were about 7 locations where they had the car shows.
it's worth attending.. free to look at them.
but it's booked about 2 years in advance for spots (if you wanted to put a car in, good luck )
Old 03-17-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol ... from that angle it looked like it had a T/A wing and callin it "ZHAWK" ... well it's good to know you didn't massacre the car like that
The ZHAWK came from the car being a Z28 & the hood was based off of a 97 Firehawk styling lol. We wanted something out of the norm here when we did this car in 2001.

Now the car has a little bit more meaning to it since it went in to the paint shop Sept 11th 2001.

Quick Reply: Oregon people inside