Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam install, oil question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam install, oil question

Well I'm finally installing my cam this weekend. I think I have a great combination of parts and a pretty good idea of what I'm getting myself into with the install. All thanks to this site. I wouldn't of dreamed of doing something like this a couple of years ago. So basicly thanks for all the help so far.

I plan to change the oil when I do the swap with some cheap oil and a good filter. Then after 100 miles I'm going to change it again, but to Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 and a K&N filter. Then It will be dyno tunned by LS1 speed.

My question is about the first cycle of oil. It will be Valvoline super HPO SAE30. I got it at sears for dirt cheap. I figured since I plan to change it out 100 miles after the install it should work fine. Now Im thinking I put all this money into parts, why chance it with something as cheap as oil. So the question is, will it matter? Am I risking anything useing this oil? I'm sorry this may be a stupid question to someone with more knowledge about oil, but I would rather ask a stupid question than take a chance.

TIA for any info or reasurance you guys can give me,
Lou
Old 03-16-2005, 05:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by rufretic
Well I'm finally installing my cam this weekend. I think I have a great combination of parts and a pretty good idea of what I'm getting myself into with the install. All thanks to this site. I wouldn't of dreamed of doing something like this a couple of years ago. So basicly thanks for all the help so far.

I plan to change the oil when I do the swap with some cheap oil and a good filter. Then after 100 miles I'm going to change it again, but to Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-30 and a K&N filter. Then It will be dyno tunned by LS1 speed.

My question is about the first cycle of oil. It will be Valvoline super HPO SAE30. I got it at sears for dirt cheap. I figured since I plan to change it out 100 miles after the install it should work fine. Now Im thinking I put all this money into parts, why chance it with something as cheap as oil. So the question is, will it matter? Am I risking anything useing this oil? I'm sorry this may be a stupid question to someone with more knowledge about oil, but I would rather ask a stupid question than take a chance.

TIA for any info or reasurance you guys can give me,
Lou
I kept everything real clean when I did my cam. I didn't change the oil, I didn't think any debri got into the oil pan. I started it up ran it for about an hour then changed the oil again (mobil 5w 30) I personally don't like mixing in any dino oil but it shouldn't hurt.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the oil is not necessary with roller cams. With flat tappet cams, you had to once the lifter wore in. I didn't when I changed my cam.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

You wont have a problem.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:50 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. I'm changing my oil pump too, so I think I have to change the oil when I do the swap. I havn't made the switch to synthetic yet so I figured after the first change I would change to synthetic. I thought it was a good idea to change the oil after the first hundred miles anyway. That way the system gets completely cleaned out after the cam swap, incase there is any initial wear/ metal shavings or any thing else that may have contaminated the oil during the swap. Anybody agree?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I did the cam swap, I changed the oil the same time. I also changed the oil pump and still went 6K before the next oil change following the cam swap. It is not like you are drilling the block or something. It is up to you on what you want to do.