Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick LTFT ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick LTFT ?

First time tuning. Got an 04 Goat and I just installed kooks LT's over the weekend. I zero'd my maf fail frequency, and verified a p0103.
Went out logging with my histogram this morning. Found that all the trims were predominantly 0 to -3 with virtually no variance to that.
Does that sound right? I just didn't expect the fuel trims to be so close to being right. The other question is when you go into the VCM controls to do data logging and you click the "reset fuel trims" what function is this imposing on the PCM?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your LTFT's have a learn time. If you zero them out, they have the abiliity to learn faster and settle after changes, then if you would just let them be. It gives a starting point for learning. It nice to see that your Ltrims are in line, but I bet once you set the frequency back to stock you will see that they are off. I would log Dynamic Airflow to get a calibration for you MAF. Then input the averages for MAF Frequency and go from there. You can find a few spreadsheets on here that will do this automatically. I have one that all you have to do is copy your exported Log file and it will calculate a new MAF table for you.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I had considered trying to run just on SD. Do you suggest not doing that? I did log the LTFT's with the maf installed and your right, they were all over the map.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Junkie

The problem with running straight SD is weather will play a part in your trims. You can run SD all day long and it won't hurt anything. You might run it like it is, pay attention to your tune and monitor it frequently just to see if it changes. The maf is there to compensate for different changes in air and weather.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black02SS
The problem with running straight SD is weather will play a part in your trims. You can run SD all day long and it won't hurt anything. You might run it like it is, pay attention to your tune and monitor it frequently just to see if it changes. The maf is there to compensate for different changes in air and weather.
Point taken, I kinda wondered about viewing the trims under density right now, cause the temp is like mid 30's. I was wandering if I remainded under density how the tune would look when it was 80* outside. I know the IAT would help compensate for that but ultimately I assume that a MAF that is properly calibrated along with an accurate VE table is the best scenario for better avearge power production and driveability. Correct?? Also, in my original post, I ask what the "reset fuel trims" does, I assume it brings them back to 0 and begins to re-learn as it states, correct? Thank you!
Old 03-17-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Correct.
If you are dead on at 30*F, then you'll be on the rich side in 80*F.

there are different ways to compensate for this in SD. If you make fuel adjustments in the IAT table, you can mount the IAT out in free air, or just wire up a tricker box for that circuit.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by white2001s10
Correct.
If you are dead on at 30*F, then you'll be on the rich side in 80*F.

there are different ways to compensate for this in SD. If you make fuel adjustments in the IAT table, you can mount the IAT out in free air, or just wire up a tricker box for that circuit.
Thanks guys, Ive got a hill to climb but I'm making it, one step (and a couple of questions) at a time.
LOTS of reading. Thanks again!
Old 03-17-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

2 more stupid questions. 1. what is a pid (other than a physical interface device). Is this some type of selected parameter? How do I log dynamic airflow in HP?
Old 03-17-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Open up the scanner and you will see a box that has your different parameters listed. ie. LTFT, O2's, ECT, ect.. If you right click in the box, you can add and delete different PIDs(PID referes to a actual reading or a calculated reading from the PCM). You will see several that you can choose from.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black02SS
Open up the scanner and you will see a box that has your different parameters listed. ie. LTFT, O2's, ECT, ect.. If you right click in the box, you can add and delete different PIDs(PID referes to a actual reading or a calculated reading from the PCM). You will see several that you can choose from.
Well that just answered a WHOLE lot of questions. I got to digging and found the PID list. Thank you, thank you thank you.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Anytime man, that is what we are here for.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

If you want to ever want to know something and aren't sure, try the F1 key when you have either the Scanner or Editor open. Depending on the page, it will open the corresponding help file for that.