PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IS the VATS tied to the Compuer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default IS the VATS tied to the Compuer?

Does the VATS system have its own mini computer like the anti lock system?

I know most people disable their VATS when tuning, but I would like to keep mine when I convert my 3.4 to LS1. Is this even possible? I was planning on using my 94 Sterring column, but have an LS1 model yaer if needed, so I could swap out things if it is needed.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
David
Old 03-19-2005, 03:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the vats is integrated with the pcm and the ignition switch. The way it works is the pcm knows when the ignition is on and it looks for a certain resistance from the vats part of the ignition switch. If it doesn't see any resistance or doesn't see the right resistance it won't start and won't restart for 10 minutes. Also you can teach the pcm for a new vats resistance, it takes about 30 minutes so if the colum you are wanting to use has vats then you should be able to use it. you will just have to do the learn for it when you get it all together. Hope this makes since and is what you where looking for
Old 03-19-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks. So there is not difference int he way it works in 93-97 vs. 98-02, right?

Im just wondering if it is easier (or cheaper) to use the new column and make 4 new keys or Retech the PCM the exiting key collection resistance. Since the LS1 column and LS1 PCM are from different cars, I guess it makes sense just to use my column (or just ignition switch) from my 3.4.

THanks,
David
Old 03-19-2005, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

That information may be correct for the trucks, but the LS1 f-cars, 98-02 do not tie the keys directly to the PCM. The BCM (body Control Module) takes care of checking the resistance of the key inserted into the ignition, and if it matches the value stored in the write once memory, it will then provide an "enable" signal to the PCM in the from of a dedicated wire, with a 5volt 50hz square wave. These modules cannot be relearned, once powered up with a key in the ignition.

The Y cars, use a serial communications to enable the vats system, so they require custom programming to disable, or more modules to be transferred over.

Ryan
Old 03-19-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
That information may be correct for the trucks, but the LS1 f-cars, 98-02 do not tie the keys directly to the PCM. The BCM (body Control Module) takes care of checking the resistance of the key inserted into the ignition, and if it matches the value stored in the write once memory, it will then provide an "enable" signal to the PCM in the from of a dedicated wire, with a 5volt 50hz square wave. These modules cannot be relearned, once powered up with a key in the ignition.

The Y cars, use a serial communications to enable the vats system, so they require custom programming to disable, or more modules to be transferred over.

Ryan
my information was off. I was wrong. Even in my truck it has a module to check the VATs resitance which then goes to the PCM and the resistance can be re-learned by the module http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...c/31763-1.html sorry for my mis information in my last post, but i think you should still be able to use either column if you want.