Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Oh My Fricken Gosh!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh My Fricken Gosh!!

So, I am driving into work this morning and I see 2 cops pulled over helping a guy who has hallen off the road and crashed into and knocked over a street light. As I cautiously pass them, behind the guy in front of me, one of them pulls out and pulls me over. I am like WTF at this point. So he comes over and tells me that he pulled me over because I have no front license plate and my exhaust is to loud! (Yet, he never said anything about my cam! And yes, the car was running the whole time.) To make a long story short, he makes me ten minutes late for work and gives me a 30 day correction notice.

So, does anybody have a stock exhaust I could "borrow" for a couple of weeks? Or what is the validity of this notice? If I do nothing, will it turn into a ticket? Any and all input is appreciated.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

Exhaust TOO loud? Is there dB limit on the books? Man, that SUCKS Ryan!!! I may have to move to a different country....and I have no idea what you need to do. I'll ask my neighbor (the cop).

I'd offer to let you borrow my stock manifolds & cats, but if they gave you a warning ticket, that guy would have my car impounded & melted down.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you put the cats on it should quiet down alot. Then you can take them back off. Front plate is easy

I do not have any stock exhaust around any more. got rid of it when we bought the house
Old 03-20-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Exhaust TOO loud? Is there dB limit on the books? Man, that SUCKS Ryan!!! I may have to move to a different country....and I have no idea what you need to do. I'll ask my neighbor (the cop).

I'd offer to let you borrow my stock manifolds & cats, but if they gave you a warning ticket, that guy would have my car impounded & melted down.
Apparently there is a RCW# that he gave me that explains the noise ordnaince. I DONT want to take my headers off! If I put just a quieter exhaust on would that take care of it? Or maybe just shove a couple of potatoes in my tail pipes to muffle the sound.

Ellis I do have cats on. They are high flow, but they are there.

This whole thing is just
Old 03-20-2005, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

I have to wonder what the outcome would have been if one of us old farts were driving. Wow cool car, sounds awesome but I gonna have to give you a fix it ticket for that front plate.

Before you change anything I would do some research as to what the maximum decibel level is. How does this officer know your car is to loud with out a meter to measure it. I know the Forestry service has meters, I've run a couple off road endurance races that required you meet certain db levels, and the Forestry Service metered every bike during tech in.

I'll trade you my quiet SLP DD for that ticket getting GMMG. Great flow, very quiet and it's polished. Mark I'll make you the same offer as much as you like to race that loud-*** Corsa is bound to get you in trouble. I'd being doing you guys a big favor.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, that does blow Ryan. I am with Steve on this one though. I would research that RCW. If the number is on the ticket you should be able to just Google it.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
I have to wonder what the outcome would have been if one of us old farts were driving. Wow cool car, sounds awesome but I gonna have to give you a fix it ticket for that front plate.

Before you change anything I would do some research as to what the maximum decibel level is. How does this officer know your car is to loud with out a meter to measure it. I know the Forestry service has meters, I've run a couple off road endurance races that required you meet certain db levels, and the Forestry Service metered every bike during tech in.

I'll trade you my quiet SLP DD for that ticket getting GMMG. Great flow, very quiet and it's polished. Mark I'll make you the same offer as much as you like to race that loud-*** Corsa is bound to get you in trouble. I'd being doing you guys a big favor.
I thought the same thing! Would this guy have given my mom in her red vette with no front plate, and loudmouth the same notice?

Thx Steve I will have to look into it.

Last edited by vtec this; 03-20-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ellis,

Didn't Arron take his car somewhere a couple of years ago and get it tested for sound level? As I recall he was cited but didn't actually exceed the legal dB limit so it was dropped. I might be wrong on that one but that's what I "remember"...

Always lift/coast when driving by the po po!
Old 03-20-2005, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Another "simple" fix might be to raise your timing in the idle rpm cells. More timing = quieter exhaust tones because the explosion happens before the exhaust valves open. I'm sure one of us has HP TUner or equiv for your car.....

And I was thinking the same thing Steve said. Did he have a dB meter? Or are his ears calibrated? I think it was a 'young punk' ticket. NO offense Ryan!!! But I got pulled over for speeding a while back & got NEITHER of those tickets.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

This will be interesting to see what happens. Sorry it did.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try this link.

I have had to research RCWs before as well. It got me out of a ticket once...and even got me an appology from the Judge for having to waste my time coming to court when the officer should have known his sh*t better.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?...action=section

RCW 46.37.390:
(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection so that the vehicle's exhaust noise exceeds ninety-five decibels as measured by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169 (May, 1998). It is not a violation of this subsection unless proven by proper authorities that the exhaust system modification results in noise amplification in excess of ninety-five decibels under the prescribed SAE test standard. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.
It's one of those rarely enforced laws.

Just like the front plate.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rookiels1
http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?...action=section

It's one of those rarely enforced laws.

Just like the front plate.
California has a very similar law...on top of there actually being a decibel limit (which YOU have to make sure it comes over when tested after getting the ticket, even if you were not cited for the exceeding the allowed decibel limit law) there is also a cover-all section that says you cannot modify your exhaust in ANY WAY AT ALL......so if I heard a car coming down the street that was obviously not stock, that is the section I would write since we don't carry "decibel meters" in the cars..........Harleys being the obvious "vehicles" that were easy to nab on that one if you were so inclined.

Sorry u got the ticket dude.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

But if you bought the harley that way from the factory it's exempt i believe.

What's bad is that I didn't even have to use the search to find that I'm starting to know my RCW Codes way too well...
Old 03-20-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rookiels1
But if you bought the harley that way from the factory it's exempt i believe.

What's bad is that I didn't even have to use the search to find that I'm starting to know my RCW Codes way too well...
Uuumm, if the Harley has factory exhaust, then it isn't "exempt" it just isn't in violation........Stock exhaust, whether it be car/ M/C, truck, etc has certain Federal laws/guidelines it has to follow.......so no, a stock Harley would not be cited (under normal curcumstances) for "Altered/non-factory exhaust" but then again, how many times have you seen a Harley with factory exhaust?
Old 03-20-2005, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

95 decibels is very loud, my race bike is about 101 decibels. The SAE test standard it refers to, wonder what RPM's the test is conducted at?

My SLP DD came on my car as factory equipment, you better trade me, young buck like you probably get the wrong judge and he'll throw you in jail
Old 03-20-2005, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

So he actually gave you a ticket? or just a written notice saying fix it within 30 days or you'll receive a citation?
Old 03-20-2005, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rottluver
Uuumm, if the Harley has factory exhaust, then it isn't "exempt" it just isn't in violation........Stock exhaust, whether it be car/ M/C, truck, etc has certain Federal laws/guidelines it has to follow.......so no, a stock Harley would not be cited (under normal curcumstances) for "Altered/non-factory exhaust" but then again, how many times have you seen a Harley with factory exhaust?
You know what I meant
Old 03-20-2005, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hell how many Harleys even have damn mufflers! One of my poet peaves!

IF you need you can BORROW my Duel Duel to pass the test. It has to come off the car any way to fix the fuel pump.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys, yes it does suck, but then again there are always risks involving modding right? Good thing it was only a correction notice!

I think I should file a discrimination charge on the officer. If it were my mom or dad driving, or someone closer to their age than I (no offense) the officer would have probably been like, "nice car what you got in that thing...but I have to give you a front plate warning"

Steve or Ellis I will probably take one of you guys up on switching exhausts for a while to pass the test. I will, however, want my GMMG back. LOL

Again thank you all for you advice.
P.S. Mark I would like to bring my car to the tuning Dr. sometime.

Quick Reply: Oh My Fricken Gosh!!