Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Cars with cages

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars with cages

I want to sit in few cars to see how each brand of cage fits me. Any volunteers? I want to check things like if the seats both go all the way back, where the side bar hits, head room, what needs to be cut....lemme know.

I've seen a lot of them, but I never sat in any of your cars.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I want to sit in few cars to see how each brand of cage fits me. Any volunteers? I want to check things like if the seats both go all the way back, where the side bar hits, head room, what needs to be cut....lemme know.

I've seen a lot of them, but I never sat in any of your cars.

You can sit in mine anytime mark, just let me know.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Banned

Jason i think i need to get a feel for it too man...just leave me the keys when im trying it out.

Nate
Old 03-20-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Your more than welcome to sit in my car or drive it around to see how it would fit you on a daily basis. You CAN drive an M6 right ?! lol !
Old 03-20-2005, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

I can only speak for mine but the fit is perfect. The side bars are angled around the arm rests as close as you can get them, the hight of the bar that wraps over the seats is like 1/4 a of an inch from touching the head liner. Prepare to puul you interior out if you get the solid cross bar.

Here is a link to more pics... Wolfe Roll Craft

The only issue I had is the door bars gor sctatched and I had them repowdercoated.

In this pic my seat is all the way back and not tilted at all so there is prob 8in to recline before hitting the cross bar.

This design where the bars go through the speaker grills not where the deck matt is still allows room to store items there.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys. And I do NOT want the keys in the car when I check it out. I wanna keep living the illusion that my car is faster.

That is a bolt-in, right Todd? How much did it cost to get it powder-coated? So you are saying the front seats need to come out for a solid cross-bar? (which is required by NHRA) The back seats will likely be coming out for good when I put one in.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys. And I do NOT want the keys in the car when I check it out. I wanna keep living the illusion that my car is faster.

That is a bolt-in, right Todd? How much did it cost to get it powder-coated? So you are saying the front seats need to come out for a solid cross-bar? (which is required by NHRA) The back seats will likely be coming out for good when I put one in.
It came powder coated, I re coated the swing bars because they were scratched from me getting in and out.

It is a bolt in. You will need to remove the seats to get the solid cross bar cage in. T byron sells them.

Here is a link to WolfCraft
Old 03-20-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
It came powder coated, I re coated the swing bars because they were scratched from me getting in and out.

It is a bolt in. You will need to remove the seats to get the solid cross bar cage in. T byron sells them.

Here is a link to WolfCraft
what did u pay for the set up? i want one for my car. did u install it your self??
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by B-RAD2
what did u pay for the set up? i want one for my car. did u install it your self??
I went to the site and typed in everything I have on mine. With out shipping is would cost $915. Add $85.00 shipping and tax to the amount. I installed it myself, took a day. I replaced all of the carriage bolyts with polished stainless ones just for fun, lol.

I have had mine for 3 years now, I paid $840 shipping included back then.

FWOL330
F-Body 6-Point Roll Bar, Mild Steel Bolt-In
Crossbar Option : Removable Crossbar
Door Bar Style : Low Slung (Std)
Powder Coated : Black (Std)
Rear Bar Option : Thru Side Plastic to Wheel Well (Std)
Shipping Option (Roll Bar & Roll Cage) : Shipping to Business (USA)
Swing-Out Option : Driver & Passenger Door
Old 03-20-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HERE is the page with some of my pics. This is the design many of us use. When i cam up with it the main concerns were for it to be legal and as un-noticed as possible. Unless you try to recline your seats you do not even know it is there.

I went with a double front bar to keep my twisting car in one piece. Cost was $240 for the kit and $70 ea for door swing kits. Install was easy and I have been very happy with it. NHRA now mandates bars be bolted in so the swing out part s moot. I just put the door bars into race and take them out when I get home
Old 03-20-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
I have had mine for 3 years now, I paid $840 shipping included back then.

FWOL330
F-Body 6-Point Roll Bar, Mild Steel Bolt-In
Crossbar Option : Removable Crossbar
Door Bar Style : Low Slung (Std)
Powder Coated : Black (Std)
Rear Bar Option : Thru Side Plastic to Wheel Well (Std)
Shipping Option (Roll Bar & Roll Cage) : Shipping to Business (USA)
Swing-Out Option : Driver & Passenger Door
so no rear speakers
Old 03-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by B-RAD2
so no rear speakers
When you take the speaker grills off they are only 6in round speakers so I just remounted them a few inches down so the bar can share the space.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

todd your cage is sweet. I wish mine looked that pretty.

mark mine is mounted a little more foraward than todds is, with the stock seats you would have to sit pretty straight up, but with mine its within all the measurments of the nhra, also the seat plays into it just a little bit. When you run the stock seat you are technicly not legal, b/c your seat has to be supported at the back to the cross bar. You also have to take into account that your head has to be no more than 6 inches from the top of the bar. there are also some other things you need to look at. I will even let you take it for a spin, that is if you can fit into the seat
Old 03-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by sardog46
todd your cage is sweet. I wish mine looked that pretty.

mark mine is mounted a little more foraward than todds is, with the stock seats you would have to sit pretty straight up, but with mine its within all the measurments of the nhra, also the seat plays into it just a little bit. When you run the stock seat you are technicly not legal, b/c your seat has to be supported at the back to the cross bar. You also have to take into account that your head has to be no more than 6 inches from the top of the bar. there are also some other things you need to look at. I will even let you take it for a spin, that is if you can fit into the seat
Honestly, you know me, it all goes with my cars show image, lol. They state on the Wolfecraft web site my cage is legal if I did not get the removable cross bar. Rules Rules.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Addict

Ellis that is a very nice cage you built!!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

It's more about the installation than the kit you choose.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CHarris
It's more about the installation than the kit you choose.
Great point. I could of welded it in. Then the entire interior has to come out.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

I think all of these have good points, and bad points. I just need to sit in a car with them & see what "feels good" to me. And hopefullly the one that meets all the requirements for what I want to do will feel ok too. Does it EVER work out that way?
Old 03-20-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Addict

[QUOTE=WAHUSKER Does it EVER work out that way?[/QUOTE]

Well it CAN work out that way. Unfortunately it usually costs a little more $$ to make sure it does. A cage is so permanent ( even a bolt in is not something you take out for a weekend cruise ) that you need to make sure you get it right the 1st time. Your a thorough enough guy that I'm sure you'll do exactly that
Old 03-20-2005, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Racehead
Does it EVER work out that way?
Well it CAN work out that way. Unfortunately it usually costs a little more $$ to make sure it does. A cage is so permanent ( even a bolt in is not something you take out for a weekend cruise ) that you need to make sure you get it right the 1st time. Your a thorough enough guy that I'm sure you'll do exactly that
Very true very true. When mine was going it it was heavily suggested that I give on some of my designs I refused knowing I would NOT be happy if I did.

I did how ever learn very fast(like on the way home) that I needed two mor bars. So this advise is from experiance. What ever cage you put in make sure you tie into the Shock towers in the back as you see in my Pic's. they make a HUGE differance

Thanks for the words Todd!

Quick Reply: Cars with cages