Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Zeta Platform killed for North America

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zeta Platform killed for North America

Article mentions impact to future GTO and Camaro plans.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...-gm-cuts_x.htm
Old 03-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Chop-Foo Director

GM's decision to kill the Zeta program puts the brakes on development of the next generation Pontiac GTO sports car, and new entries for Chevrolet, Buick and Pontiac. The current GTO is already being produced by GM's Holden unit in Australia.

This sucks ***
Old 03-21-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

GMs internal structure must be really f*&#'d up if they cannot engineer a platform within a cost structure to compete with the 300(as stated directly by Lutz in the article). If you are telling me that GM with all its resources CANNOT engineer a platform to put rear wheel drive cars in the market, like just about every other maker is now doing, then something is very wrong. I think Lutz also has the wrong focus here and maybe needs to rethink his position.

Todd
Old 03-21-2005, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

means that G M finally decided what platform to use, specifically the Kappa platform instead of the Zeta... Currently this platform is slated for a up to 5 potential RWD vehicles and is in development
Old 03-21-2005, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

I'm guessing that they want to compete with Ford and Chrysler prices but have to sacrifice quality to acheive this? I would rather pay the little higher price for a better quality product! Have you felt the shifter in the new Mustang? In the meantime though Ford is gonna run away with sales of the Mustang while GM plays catch-up over the next few years. Honestly what were they really thinking when the stopped making the Camaro and Firebird. "Hey lets take an icon name such as GTO and just slap it on our 2 door family car from Australia." I'm not bashing the GTO, I just don't see it as a muscle car. It just takes a second glance not to confuse it with a Grandprix. Although it does look a little better with the new hood and dual rear exit exhaust. Don't get me wrong, I like trucks and SUV's but not near as much as a rear wheel drive sports car! I think there a many more people out there just like me.

Sorry for the long ranting. I'm just tired of all the BS and I'm tired of waiting for something new. I'm a 22 year old single male with a longing for a v8 rear wheel drive muscle car without the price of a vette and better styling than the GTO!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

GM does need to get something like the 300C, Magnum, Charger. I don't mind driving a 4-door if has lots of power, RWD, and if's affordable. I hope another platfrom works out!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Teching In

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives...e_en.html#more

Old 03-21-2005, 04:23 PM
On The Tree

So which platfrom is the Kappa? What is the STS, CTS, and SRX built on. The GTO is built on the freakin' Catera/Saturn LS platfrom, good ridance.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

This posted today at the Blog:

By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

Some news broke today about a reshuffling of our product plan, and I just want to clear one thing up before people get carried away.

Yes, we have canceled our plans to build rear-wheel-drive vehicles off the Zeta architecture. But that does not mean we've canceled plans to build rear-drive vehicles altogether.

We did not cancel the Zeta plans to save money, or to divert funds elsewhere that would've been used for product development.

We are simply reallocating resources (human and financial) to pull some other programs ahead and get other vehicles to market sooner. The press speculates this means we're doing it to get our next-generation large SUVs and pickups out sooner. You could see how one might reasonably come to such a conclusion.

Rest assured, we remain committed to developing RWD, premium,
high-performance, affordable vehicles, perhaps even a few with a trace of nostalgia baked in.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bradyb
GM does need to get something like the 300C, Magnum, Charger. I don't mind driving a 4-door if has lots of power, RWD, and if's affordable. I hope another platfrom works out!
They do, and they just shelved it all to push more trucks. It's still hard to believe they canned this and all the great potential for trucks. Especially in the face of soaring fuel costs.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RamAirD98
I'm not bashing the GTO, I just don't see it as a muscle car.
You sure fooled me. Souped up family cars is what the majority of muscle cars have always been including the original GTOs. How awful.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:26 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ActionJack
This posted today at the Blog:

By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

Some news broke today about a reshuffling of our product plan, and I just want to clear one thing up before people get carried away.

Yes, we have canceled our plans to build rear-wheel-drive vehicles off the Zeta architecture. But that does not mean we've canceled plans to build rear-drive vehicles altogether.

We did not cancel the Zeta plans to save money, or to divert funds elsewhere that would've been used for product development.

We are simply reallocating resources (human and financial) to pull some other programs ahead and get other vehicles to market sooner. The press speculates this means we're doing it to get our next-generation large SUVs and pickups out sooner. You could see how one might reasonably come to such a conclusion.

Rest assured, we remain committed to developing RWD, premium,
high-performance, affordable vehicles, perhaps even a few with a trace of nostalgia baked in.
More doublespeak from Lutz,remember kids: He doesn't like the "retro" styling but thinks the HHR will sell well. What GM really needs to do is boot his *** and his crew of idiots to the curb and get somebody in there with vision and at the very least, some common sense. Lutz lacks both of these.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

I found this informative analysis of GM's strategy on the least likely site...
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/pro...rm.21mar05.htm
Old 03-22-2005, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Default yeh :(

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-123402.htm
Old 03-22-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Stupid GM...
Old 03-22-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hydroformed steel frame rails of the Kappa Chassis is easily extended...and it would be easy to widen the chassis as well!

The new upcoming hydroformed body panels of the solstice to allow short annual production runs in a more profitable manner for GM..

If GM follows this path for the GTO and other RWD niche vehicles...we should benefit as long as they power up these vehicles with LS2's. (also a relatively inexpensive powerplant) 400hp !

I can only hope AWD can be adapted for this vehicle chassis..

The market is clamoring for AWD.

Quick Reply: Zeta Platform killed for North America