Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Misfire, top end noise problem. PLEASE help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Misfire, top end noise problem. PLEASE help!!

My car is in the shop right now being diagnosed for two misfires (4&7) and a top end noise at mid-high RPM. They think it's possible that I spun the camshaft bearing or that there are actual valve problems. The #7 misfire has been going on for a while, but the #4 is new as of yesturday. I have also had some oil pressure issues which also leads us to believe I have a cam problem. Right now the mechanic is removing the valve covers to check around and see if he can come up with anything. The problem is that the idle is fine. Sounds perfect at idle, it's not until you get to 1500+ RPM that you hear the noise and feel the vibration/misfire.
Does anyone here know what the problem could be? If I were at home I would be able to work on it in my own time but out here at school, I've gotta pay someone $70 an hour to do this BS. That's why I'm asking for opinions...

ANY help is appreciated! Thank you!
Old 03-21-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

dude i've had the same b/s w/my #7. it would only throw a misfire code in 6th gear. after a bunch of bs i took it to the dealer and they said my 7 had half the compression of the others. bottom line was either a cracked piston or f-ed up ring or cracked block (HIGHLY DOUBTFUL). i'm guessing it's one of the first two. they wanted $1500 to pull the head...yeah ok! so i'm in the process of getting new forged internals w/stock crank to avoid putting the same crap back in it.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

Okay, here's the deal.... They pulled the valve covers, dumped the oil, checked the plugs, and everything is fine. All the valves are operating as they should be and there are no obvious valve train problems. Now they're thinking that I spun a lower rod bearing, however there is nothing in the oil to indicate this. However, if I spun the bearing, this would be a reason for the oil pressure issues.

The shop wants to pull the engine and pull the oil pan and check all that out. At this point I really dont know what to do... If anyone has any ideas or has any questions I would really appreciate some help. Thank you for any opinions!