My day with Air Team.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My day with Air Team.

*pulls into emissions lane*

*car is loping hard as hell*

Air Team Guy: That **** sounds pissed off.

Me: Yeah, she is pretty pissed

Air Team Guy: You know, if you don't pass I can send you somewhere that isnt as strict as we are

Me: Thanks.

*Air Team Guy plugs in the OBD cord into my car*

Air Team Guy: Normally takes about 30-45 seconds

*after 10 seconds, printer starts printing my results*

Air Team Guy: Not looking good man.

*Air Team Guy looks at sheet, and pauses*

Air Team Guy: Here, you passed.

Me: I know, thanks.

*Leaves emissions lane*
Old 03-21-2005, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

LOL, nice. I hope Cook County is the same way with emissions whenever my time comes.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

HAHA that's awesome!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:41 PM
NKAWTG...N

nice!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 06:08 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

So are they sniffing tailpipes in Bloomington, IN now?
Old 03-21-2005, 06:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkZ28LS6
LOL, nice. I hope Cook County is the same way with emissions whenever my time comes.
It is. I tested in Cook last march with my WS6 and passed just as easily as Smoke Ford did.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Smoke_Ford
*pulls into emissions lane*

*car is loping hard as hell*

Air Team Guy: That **** sounds pissed off.

Me: Yeah, she is pretty pissed

Air Team Guy: You know, if you don't pass I can send you somewhere that isnt as strict as we are

Me: Thanks.

*Air Team Guy plugs in the OBD cord into my car*

Air Team Guy: Normally takes about 30-45 seconds

*after 10 seconds, printer starts printing my results*

Air Team Guy: Not looking good man.

*Air Team Guy looks at sheet, and pauses*

Air Team Guy: Here, you passed.

Me: I know, thanks.

*Leaves emissions lane*
See Ryan, told ya it'd go just fine.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:03 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I hope it stays this way. The envirotest/ IEPA know what is going on here, I talk to them. Are they gonna do anything about it? Hopefully not.
Old 03-21-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Right again dude. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by wrencher
I hope it stays this way. The envirotest/ IEPA know what is going on here, I talk to them. Are they gonna do anything about it? Hopefully not.
I don't really see how they could/would. Since IL has mandated all '96 and up cars to OBD scan, how can they "single out" certain cars for sniffer tests? As far as I know, there isn't even an optional sniffer for the '96-up cars anymore. So what meathod of test would they use? And how would they select which cars to use it on? People modify all types of cars, so would they raise the eyebrow on a Trans Am that ends up being totally stock but let a '96 Fleetwood with an LT4 hotcam and O2 sims slide by without a second look?

Gotta look at it this way, probably 95+% of '96-up cars have stock manifolds/cats and stock PCMs that should/do pass the scan without any tricks. So is it worth the EPA's time and money to invent revised software to better detect that 5% of offenders?

I certainly don't work for the EPA so I don't have the answers to these questions, but it seems that all they can really do at this point is try and close all the windows left open by OBD II when OBD III or whatever it'll be called in final revision is put mainstream.

What have you heard from your sources on OBD II replacements?.... I hear that some German manufacturers will be moving away from 12v electrical systems in the near future to feed higher electrical system demands, plus with DOD showing up in more and more cars is the end for OBD II's lone ability to control these systems nearing? Will there be secondary add-ons to ODB II or a full replacement system?? Just thinking out loud here.......

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-21-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:59 PM
wrencher

I don't really see how they could/would. Since IL has mandated all '96 and up cars to OBD scan, how can they "single out" certain cars for sniffer tests? As far as I know, there isn't even an optional sniffer for the '96-up cars anymore. So what meathod of test would they use? And how would they select which cars to use it on? People modify all types of cars, so would they raise the eyebrow on a Trans Am that ends up being totally stock but let a '96 Fleetwood with an LT4 hotcam and O2 sims slide by without a second look?

Gotta look at it this way, probably 95+% of '96-up cars have stock manifolds/cats and stock PCMs that should/do pass the scan without any tricks. So is it worth the EPA's time and money to invent revised software to better detect that 5% of offenders?

I certainly don't work for the EPA so I don't have the answers to these questions, but it seems that all they can really do at this point is try and close all the windows left open by OBD II when OBD III or whatever it'll be called in final revision is put mainstream.

What have you heard from your sources on OBD II replacements?.... I hear that some German manufacturers will be moving away from 12v electrical systems in the near future to feed higher electrical system demands, plus with DOD showing up in more and more cars is the end for OBD II's lone ability to control these systems nearing? Will there be secondary add-ons to ODB II or a full replacement system?? Just thinking out loud here.......
Your right, right now they have no plans of doing anything.
They are aware that tampering is in play though.
The state doesn't care as long as they get their federal highway funds supplied by doing the emission's testing. As long as the cars pass, they could care less.
The people we have to worry about is the federal EPA. They are looking into the tampering & how it is done.
Who knows maybe their even looking here? But if they mandate change, or monies w/be held back, guess what we're in trouble. OBD-III is coming along w/ 42 volt charging systems. There is alot of change coming our way soon. I dont expect it to get better, but hopefully the emissions situation doesn't change.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got it pretty good. i'm in cook county, but my wife and her family is from Iroquois county, an hour south of Kankakee, so that's where i registered my car since they have no emissions.

later,
Dave

Quick Reply: My day with Air Team.