Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Throttle Body question

Just a quick question for you guys. I had recently sent in my TB to get it ported and polished by Shaner. Some problems occured with UPS and somehow lost it in transit. (long story) Anyway my original TB was drilled after my cam swap to help with the idle.

Well after some talking with Mark, he's going to be sending me a new TB but like I said, it's not going to be my original one. How much is this going to affect my my car not being able to idle? Will it need to be re-drilled or can I just slap it on and have the car "re-learn" the new one?

I know that I will need to get it tuned anyway, but it'll be about a week before I can.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will need to do something to get more idle air for that cam. You can drill it or flip the screw; I did both. If you flip the screw, you need to re-calibrate the TPS with the PCM.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/177230-stop-drilling-those-tbs-fix-stalling-without-computer-tuning.html
Old 03-22-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok I just read that whole thread. A lot of great info in there...but what happens when you don't have Atap or EFI live to monitor the throttle postition% or the IAC's? I will be flipping the screw but how many turns, backing it out, is norm before it idles right?

Damn, I need to buy some logging and tuning software.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

A little bit of trial and error goes a long way.

Start by flipping the screw and letting it out enough that you are sure the blades are open. Start the car. It will be idling a bit fast (or a lot fast) due to the extra air.

Now do the relearn and tighten the screw 3 turns. Do it again. and again until you get the idle to where you want it.

You can than go back 1.5 turns and you should be right on.

Perry