Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZO6 H/C numbers, What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ZO6 H/C numbers, What do you guys think?

I recently installed a H/C package to my full bolt-on ZO6. (mods and #'s are in my sig) I think the numbers are a little low, but I could be wrong. Here are the specifics on the package: Comp cams 232-236/.595-.601 on a 114+4 lobe, heads are LS6 cnc ported, angle milled to 11.2 c/r REV valves,2.055/1.6, Crane duals, comp hard rods, TI retainers, Katech chain,
ported ls6 oil pump. I hand ported the stock TB and Intake, Pulleys are stock, and I installed 30#SVO injectors. AFR at peak hp reads 12.4
Tq curve is nice 360# at 3k, peaks at 5k and still making 350# at 6.5k where
peak hp# is. My tuner and I both think I am leaving a fair amount of HP and
TQ on the table because of the cats and the v-ram. Same H/C package on an '03 ZO6 with LG's, no cats and cyclone CAI made almost 460HP/430TQ
(BTW, my numbers uncorrected were 463/428 if that means anything)
Just looking for opinions from people more experienced than myself.
I welcome all opinions/comments. TIA Jimbo
Old 03-24-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats , I bet there is more in it though, that is a healthy cam and I'd assume a healthy set of heads. I don't know that your going to get that "much" out of a change in Intake. Especially when the Vram is supposed to be "the" intake on the c5. Also the cats may give you a few HP's but at MOST assuming the Cyclone is better than the Vram (which I'm pretty sure it is the same as the Vortex) then your looking at 10-15 more.

Dyno numbers really mean nothing on a different day you may dyno more. Take it to the track and see what she runs then you'll know if your satisfied
Old 03-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats on the numbers, now get that car to the track.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by IN DEBT
Congrats on the numbers, now get that car to the track.

Thanks for the responses guys. I do plan on tracking the car soon, as the nearest track (PMI in Pueblo, CO) is open tomorrow for test and tune, but the weather looks like it might not cooperate. (its snowing right now).
I do have some track numbers from last year when the car was just bolt-ons, but they are from Beech Bend raceway in Bowling Green, at the ZO6
fest last July. best run on stock F1's was 12.32 @ 119.3 on a shitty 2.0 short time. car was loose all the way into 3rd gear because of lack of track prep. Hell, J-Rod was there and his Z ran 7 tenths slower there than it does at HRP in houston, and if any of you know him you gotta know that he is a great driver. I am going to the track as soon as the weather straightens out, but I don't think the times will be representative of what the car is capable of because the track elevation is 4800' at Pueblo. I don't see being able to get to a track near sea level elevation until the next ZO6Vette.com
fest which is in July at BG.
One of the reasons I am questioning the effectiveness of the V-ram is that when we were street tuning the car with HP Tuners, the IAT was 10-12 degrees higher than ambient, which just shouldn't be considering where the V-ram gets its air from. My tuner says he sees this all the time when tuning cars equipped with the V-ram, and doesn't see it on cars equipped with
cyclone, breathless or similar units that feed through a hole cut in the shroud.
We shall see, as I have a cyclone to try out after I get some runs with the
vararam for a track baseline.
If the car runs low 12's at Pueblo I will be pleased, and am hoping for low
11's at Beech Bend with MPH in the mid 120's on Drag radials. am I nuts, or is this do-able? Jim
Old 03-25-2005, 09:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimbo'sZO6
One of the reasons I am questioning the effectiveness of the V-ram is that when we were street tuning the car with HP Tuners, the IAT was 10-12 degrees higher than ambient, which just shouldn't be considering where the V-ram gets its air from. My tuner says he sees this all the time when tuning cars equipped with the V-ram, and doesn't see it on cars equipped with
cyclone, breathless or similar units that feed through a hole cut in the shroud.
We shall see, as I have a cyclone to try out after I get some runs with the
vararam for a track baseline.
Jim
Who's your tuner, because that make ZERO sense.

VARARAM will show next to nothing on a static dyno, open road is where it shines. I a-tap'd both of my c5's with VARARAM and both showed ambient temps while running down the track. BTW, my coupe runs mid 10's and my vert runs mid 11's.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2c5s
Who's your tuner, because that make ZERO sense.

VARARAM will show next to nothing on a static dyno, open road is where it shines. I a-tap'd both of my c5's with VARARAM and both showed ambient temps while running down the track. BTW, my coupe runs mid 10's and my vert runs mid 11's.
Doesn't make sense to me either. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. My car was tuned by FRC Tom and Greg Lovell of
Antivenom EFI Performance, Seffner, FL. We were driving around in city traffic and on the freeway with the laptop plugged in with HP Tuners software. Ambient temps were in the low 60's and IAT was 10-12 degrees higher during city driving and 8-10 degrees higher at freeway speeds.
Coolant temps were running 175 or so on the freeway and around 185-190
during city driving. I know the V-ram doesn't show much on the dyno, but
should make a big difference on the street and track. Just need to do more real-world testing I guess.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey Jim. HP and torque about the same as me. I would have thought at least another 20 hp with your cam but who's to say. Maybe another tune can find some lost ponies.

BTW, ever get rid of "the ticK"?