Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Foggy Headlights, and Painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Foggy Headlights, and Painting

Alright guys i got a question, well its more of a favor, i am looking to do the headlight mod where you wet sand them to get them to look brand new basically, and i also want to paint them black since i seen some pics and really was impressed with how it looks, however, i do not feel comfortable doing this on my own and am afraid i am going to damage them. So i was wondering if maybe someone local would be willing to help me out, or even if someone was willing to help me out, i would even ship it out to you and i would gladly pay you to do them for me. I was just curious and was wondering if someone could help, thanks alot
JacobK
Old 03-25-2005, 06:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I can't help you any with the paint portion, but I can give some advice for the haze removal/cleaning part. 3M sells some products that work great to help restore plastic lenses. It's a two step system, lens cleaner and lens polish. This process works great for restoring mildly hazed or slightly scratched lenses. Now, keep in mind that if the haze/yellowing is severe, cleaning compounds alone may not work and wet sanding may be your only option.

Either way, once you get the lenses as clean/clear as possibile, I suggest waxing them whenever you wax the rest of the car. The wax will protect them and help to prevent future discoloration and film from building, plus it really makes the lenses glossy looking, like glass. I've been doing this for probably 10 years on various cars and it works great.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the wet sand to my lenses, and painted the inside. Don't worry, if you're careful, you won't screw them up.

I did mine this way,
Wet sand with 400 'til all the spiderwebs/haziness is gone ( it took a LOOONG time with my car )
Wet sand with 800 'til all the scratches from the 400 are gone
Wet sand with 1500 'til all the scratches from the 800 are gone

Then I used a polish kit for plastic I got from www.spadepot.com

Some searches that'll help:
Search for "headlight polishing" with LS1 Sounds as the user
Search for "Whistler Headlight Mod"

It was not hard to do the mods, just time consuming.

Here's my post I made about it a while back...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...appearance+mod

Quick Reply: Foggy Headlights, and Painting