Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10bolt removal and 12bolt question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 10bolt removal and 12bolt question

Does anyone have a detailed writeup for dropping the rear? What order to do everything and what size sockets, etc. Its my first time and I dont know what I'm doing.

Also, the 12bolt Im installing is from a 95 TA. Is it possible to install it for now and drive around on it until I can get LS1 backing plates and the ABS or TCS stuff to convert it to 4 channel?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

There really is no real order if you have the car on the ground. You will need to remove the shocks, lca's, torque arm, brake lines, e-brake cable, panhard, etc. Its really pretty straighforward. If you have the car on a lift it might be a little more difficult. It shouldnt take very long unless the bolts are rusted, but that seems doubtful in your case. Basically just unbolt everything, jack the car up and roll the rear away. Just make sure to bleed your brakes after you install the 12 bolt.

Really a wide variety of sockets, 13, 15, 17, etc.

Why dont you just use your backing plates? Take them off of your 10 bolt and put them on the 12 bolt?
Old 03-26-2005, 08:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Strokinit383
Why dont you just use your backing plates? Take them off of your 10 bolt and put them on the 12 bolt?
because I have to give the guy my 10bolt, so it needs to be out of the car when I go pick the 12bolt up. PLus its something that I'd need to take to a machine shop and have them pressed out, no? Thats just more downtime for an already pushy April 2nd deadline