Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Door Bars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing Door Bars?

I am looking at doing this but want to know if it will affect the door its self in any way. I would hate to pull these and in 5K miles have the doors not shut right.

I have a cage in the car so I am NOT worried about any safety issue this might cause.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled my driver about a month ago, no problems here.

Pain in the butt to pull, you will need a drimel and some bits. You can unscrew the back two bolts(might have to modify/cut a scocket in half) that hold the bar up, but the front you will have to cut around the nut. Then on top of that cut the bar in half to pull it out the big hole toward the rear of the door. It weighs ever bit of 8lb for one door support.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remeber Harlan saying that the bar will come out in one piece if you remove the door and remove the bar through the wire boot hole.

Other that in a crash what does this bar do? I have a cage so safty is covered.
Old 03-27-2005, 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be able to leave the door on the car and still get the bar out in one piece. I was thinkin when i pulled mine that you might be able to pull the inner fender cover, take the wheel off and slide it out that way, with the door closed.

The main reason i cut the bar in half is i couldn't get the bar moved from where it mounts to the front of door. So when i cut it i could pull the bar straight back. I couldn't get it to move up or down. I didn't get it unscrewed at all, i had to cut around the nuts and pull them threw the mounting plate.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:22 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The door bars were a pain in the *** to take out. It took me forever. On the front 2 bolts, closest to the car, were the hardest. The very furthest one closest to the car took the longest. I ended up getting a 1/4" drive 10mm socket and grinding a flat edged on one side and on the opposite side so when I put the socket on, I could get an open end wrench on it and turn it. Theres not enough room for a ratchet. Theres also not enough room for a wrench either. It took a while, but I managed to do it. Once the bolt was out far enough. I then used a ratchet wrench. The bolt next to it was easy. The 15mm bolt on the driver's side was easy, but for some reason on the passenger side, it was hard to get to. I took my door bar in once piece by drilling a hole and boring it out at the bottom of the door. I could move my door bar all around, so I tilted the side closest to the car as far as it would go and then put the other side on the bottom of the door and made my hole there. You cant see the hole unless youre looking underneath.

Quick Reply: Removing Door Bars?