Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Header heat wrap or Electrical heat wrap? Burned the wires...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for Header heat wrap or Electrical heat wrap? Burned the wires...

I'm sure some of you saw the threads I made about a fuse under the hood continuing to blow. Well it turns out that my SLP headers had melted through the heat wrap and black wrap around my wires going to the starter on the passenger side.

Anyway, tomorrow I plan on removing that portion of the engine harness and fixing the wires and taping it up along with trying to reroute it. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some quality material or tape or anything to put around the electrical wires or that portion of the headers to cut down on the heat. I went around to the stores looking for a "heat wrap" of some kind but never found anything. If you have some tips or anything please let me know. Thanks.

Jason
Old 03-27-2005, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JimmyxBly
I'm sure some of you saw the threads I made about a fuse under the hood continuing to blow. Well it turns out that my SLP headers had melted through the heat wrap and black wrap around my wires going to the starter on the passenger side.

Anyway, tomorrow I plan on removing that portion of the engine harness and fixing the wires and taping it up along with trying to reroute it. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some quality material or tape or anything to put around the electrical wires or that portion of the headers to cut down on the heat. I went around to the stores looking for a "heat wrap" of some kind but never found anything. If you have some tips or anything please let me know. Thanks.

Jason
First I would try to route the wires away from the heat, use zipties. Try loosening the the hotwire on the starter and rotating it to "steer" the wire in a safer direction. You could use some thermal header wrap on the header. Since you can't find any around you you'd have to order it from one of our sponsors. If not, on past vehicles I have sleeved sections of wire harness that are close to hot spots with heater hose (get the red kind if they have it), or with quality vacuum line depending on the size of the harness. Just slit it down one side and slip it over the wires like that cheap plastic wire loom. snug up a couple of zip ties around the hose to keep it put where you want it. You just don't want it actually touching the header.
Hope this steers you in the right direction.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used DEI Cool Tape to wrap the wires around my headers...I couldn't find it anywhere local to me...had to order it from Summit. As for the hose idea, I remember from back in my auto parts days that Walker makes a very high-temp hose intended for use with some emissions systems...it's similar to the orange hose SLP supplies with their installation kit...the Walker hose is green...hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your help guys, I found some stuff for the electrical wires and just left the headers as is. However, I did reroute the wiring harness to follow the dipstick down do the starter. Seems to work pretty good. I have zipties everywhere under the hood, but at least it works. That starter sure is a pain getting back in, but all is well now and it starts like a charm after 11 blown fuses. Once again, thanks for your help and I appreciate your responses.