Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank pulley wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 03:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Crank pulley wobble

Hello yall today i went under my car while the engine was on and noticed the crank pulley to have a slight wobble. Seems like it is not spinning true. Is this normal? I am gona try and retorque it down. What can be causing this to happen? Should i be worried? Does anybody else notice there car doing this?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem with my stock pulley. However, when I installed the ASP pulley it was fine. Here are a few things you can do, even in this order.

First take the pulley off then re-install it with a new crank bolt.

If that dosent work, then try to find a used stock pulley at a junk yard, or shop. Install it, and see if that helps. Something may have happend to the old pulley at one point to warp it.

If after that, you still have the problem, I would take it to a reputable shop and have them check the crank.

Pray that you don't have to get to that step, because that would require some cash for them to check and possibly fix. Good Luck.

Also, be sure not to spin the motor too hard in the mean time, because if it is an imbalance, something in the engine could let go.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

How can i tighten the crank pulley bolt without spining the crank? Will i need a tool?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1FIRE
How can i tighten the crank pulley bolt without spining the crank? Will i need a tool?
You don't want to just tighten it, IMO. I would remove it completely then press it back on. You can get a pulley puller and some even have a pulley press at Auto Zone, Kragen, or other similar store. Many times you can rent them for a nominal fee.

Make sure you get a few new crank bolts as they are single use only. A tourqe wrench and a breaker bar helps as well. The auto zone by my house rents those as well.

You don't have to worry about the crank spinning if you have an M6, just put it in gear. For an A4 you will have to drop the cover next to the starter and wedge a screwdriver in between the flywheel and the housing, or you could try to find a flywheel locking tool if you wish. Its easiest if you know someone with a lift, but you can also do it with a set of ramps or a few jack stands.

Hope this helps.