Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this engine noise?

I recently did a cam swap tr224 112lsa... I'm hearing alot of different noises coming from under the hood. Car almost has 31k miles. Stock oil pump and stock timing chain. Car idles @ about 40 oil pressure and 60-70 WOT oil pressure. The car does consume some oil every 3k+ miles but not very much at all. The car also has some noticable piston slap.

First noise is when im driving around at around 2k rpms it sounds like a major air leak that is coming from right under the back of the hood where the windsheild is. I could hear it inside my car like i have a leak under my windsheild. What could it be?

Second noise when i get down by the driver side behind the front wheel every so often i hear this Deep off sound from the bottom end when the car is idleing. Its a different sound like rubbing but its alot stronger sound then usual is very deep. I hear the same sound when i shut off my car as the motor is coming to a stop it shakes the whole car and makes that same sound again very deep sound. Sounds like a few deep clunks or just rubing.

When i changed my oil (Mobil 1 0w40 / 5w-30) a few hundred miles ago i saw metal shavings on the end of my oil drain plug. I wiped it off and it became a silver color. Which i thought was just normal? Is it?

Anyone know whats these sounds are? All normal or am i starting to have some motor problems?

Last edited by Camaroguy; 03-29-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your vacuum lines, especially the brake booster one, for the source of your hiss.

You'll usually find metal powdery/slushy deposits on the oil drain plug. It's not uncommon for a temporary increase in metal slough after a cam swap, but it shouldn't continue past the first oil change...should go back to a small amount metal powder/slush.

No clue what that other sound is you're trying to describe.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cut your oil filter in half to see what else is going on