Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Wheel problem...need advice please

Old 03-29-2005, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel problem...need advice please

I picked up my wheels today, nearly 3 weeks after dropping them off to be powdercoated. The coating looks great, but when the masking tape around the halo was pulled up, it took a significant amount of the chromish plating (?) up with it. I didn't realize that it was a plating, I thought it was a polished aluminum...after I noticed the initial damage, I put some heat to the tape while I peeled it off and it seemed to work a little better okay doing that.

But, I have a wheel with a definitely noticeable bad spot around the lip, and I have no idea what I can do about it. I only did one wheel, because I'm afraid to do the others.

I called a local place that refinishes wheels, and they said the only thing that can be done is for the wheel to be re-plated.

Is there anything that can be done for this wheel, short of stripping it and having it re-plated? It took me three weeks just to get them coated, and I have to get tires on these things...the tires on my rear wheels are down to the threads.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch ttt for ya
Old 03-30-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope. . . . the surface is toast, other than dissassemblimg the wheel, having the chrome stripped, and then polish the hoop . . . very wierd. The heat from the powder coat must have reacted with the chrome . . . .

Search this Thread