Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF Tuning

Is tuning extremely needed when running a set of ported MAF ends? I just threw some on the car that a buddy of mine ported. If so what do I need to tune it with? I really don't have any cash to spare and I can't install the original ends because one of the ported ends is wedged into the lid and won't come out without the lid breaking.
Old 03-30-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

The computer should be able to correct for the MAF ends, but I doubt that they really did you any good.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gametech
The computer should be able to correct for the MAF ends, but I doubt that they really did you any good.
Any idea on how long will it actually take the computer to fix it?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gametech
It won't be able to fully correct for a lid and ends. Maybe one or the other. Both will definitely max out your LTFTs.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Another_User
It won't be able to fully correct for a lid and ends. Maybe one or the other. Both will definitely max out your LTFTs.
What exactly are LTFTs? I mean is it going to hurt anything to drive the car like it is?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 25thTransAm
What exactly are LTFTs? I mean is it going to hurt anything to drive the car like it is?
Long Term Fuel Trims. You may run too lean. It should not hurt anything for the short term because your PCM will try to compensate as best as possible, and your timing will retard with any knock. I wouldn't leave it like that though.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

If properly accounted for MAF ends can provide anywhere b/w 10-30% more airflow than your stocker (with descreening). In order to take advantage of this though your MAF table will have to be aligned with the change in airflow. If left alone, chances are you will be just fine (especially M6s) but MAF mods generally do muck up fueling operation a bit. The horror stories you hear about MAFs causing massive motor failure are more an extremity of the spectrum. Most people who do MAF mods will be ok but a tune will pull the 5-10 horses out of it and make it useful for you. So I say yes to tuning the MAF. It CAN do you good.