Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a new tranny...tell me what to get

Old 03-30-2005, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new tranny...tell me what to get

My FLP IV just isn't working out. I've never been to the track and I've only raced from like a 50mph roll a dozen times. It's been rebuilt by FLP when it was only 1 year old because of problems and now after only 6 months (and NO races) its starting to faulter again.

I want a tranny that operates just like the 4L60E does, as far as shifting and overdrive..........but is there something thats unbreakable?

The only addition to my motor will be either a 150 TNT or a 200 dorect port set up. Both will be progressively controlled and only used for HIGHWAY RUNS, so I won't be killing my tranny at the track with slicks.

Maybe a 4L80E, or the 200R4??????????????

I just don't know, and I do not want a manual (edit...because its my daily driver.)

Thanks.

Last edited by Quickin; 03-30-2005 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

if all u do is highway race, why dont u get a manual?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by '01 WS6 TA
if all u do is highway race, why dont u get a manual?
Simply because I don't like to drive a manual all the time, and my car is my daily driver.

When and if I get another car I'll probably than put a manual in it.

BTW, what is the best and strongest manual for an F-Body? How much $$$ for the complete swap?
Old 03-30-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yank is working on a 4L80e swap package, but I don't know when that will be available. My friend has a built 4L80e with no miles with ground off tabs specific for a f-body swap. Mine fit with no clearancing to the car on a 00' formula.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:26 AM
Teching In

I say just beef up the 4L60E. It is the same as the 700R4/4L60 except for an electronic valve body, so there are a TON of beefed up parts for it.

I'm sure the 4L80E is stronger, but from what I've heard it isn't an easy or cheap swap.

A 200R4 isn't any stronger, especially in stock form. I guess if you were a gung ho ***** out racer you could go with a TH400, but then you would lose the OD.

If you want to keep your computer controlled shifting you only have the 4L60E or 4L80E options - everything older is controlled with a cable.

BTW it doesn't sound like you have a tranny killing setup anyway (no slicks and highway track usage??). I would probably give the trans a good rebuild and call it good if I was you (save yourself some money!!)
Old 03-31-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

call up yank or rossler (better) for a 4L80e - it should hold 1000 hp. there is no 4L60e that will hold up to the power and daily driver you want need.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:11 PM
Teching In

you sure your tuning is on point, because thats a bigger killer of a trans than anything. From what I here the flp's are good trannys, my buddy has a c5 with a 447 in it making over 600rwhp. His built tranny with the same goods in it as the flp has held over 100 1/4 passes.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by c5jonny
you sure your tuning is on point, because thats a bigger killer of a trans than anything. From what I here the flp's are good trannys, my buddy has a c5 with a 447 in it making over 600rwhp. His built tranny with the same goods in it as the flp has held over 100 1/4 passes.
Maybe I should try a new tune than. My tranny is also doing this, figure this out?????

At highway speeds, just steadily cruising at say 70mph. If I want to mildly accelerate to pass someone, as I push the pedal down the engine just free spins all the way to redline if I let it, and the car will not budge or change speed at all. Feels like it dropped into nuetral. The only way to have it re-engage is to either let it slow down to around 50 and then reapply the gas OR downshift into drive, then back into overdrive. If I get on an onramp and want to accelerate nicely all the way to say 120, it has no problem. It's only after I've been cruising steady for a few minutes that it will then rev up if I hit the gas.

Also, if I'm at a stop light and want to get on it all the way to say 100, if I get to a speed somewhere in second where I can mash the pedal all the way down: Each time it gets to the shift rpm it will hang there for a second or so before it shifts.

Wierd eh????
Old 03-31-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highway punches are just as hard on the tranny as launches on slicks are. You experience WOT upshifts (and maybe downshifts too). If the FLP isn't holding and your tune is fine, rossler is your best option. Be prepared to shell out atleast $3k. With the spray added on, any tranny tranny will probably need to be freshened up annually depending on how much you beat on it.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

It seems most aftermarket trannys are built for the strip and will usually last for awhile, but most people that do alot of roll races with those trannys seem to fry them quite a bit. Did you tell the trans builder what kind of racing you planned on doing with the tranny?? If not you should see if they can upgrade the tranny to handle downshifts.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Your tranny sounds like it is toast now, Ive been down this road before. How is the car around town? It turns out what killed my stock tranny wasnt hard launches at the track, it was poor tuning for around town driving that smoked it. The tuner who tuned my stock trans when I first did gears and converter f'd it up majorly. My WOT shifts were perfect, but my around town shift points were a mess. The car would be in 4th before I would hit 40 MPH. I really dont know what the problem is with your tranny, but definitly have the tune checked before dumping more cash into another tranny. Good luck bro, and let us know how you make out.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like a fluid pressure issue or a burnt clutch back. My car didn't shift to 4th until 117 mph. It could be that the clutch packs are used up. By the way, I got about 130 quarter mile passes with 1.4-1.6 launches on slicks before my tranny took a crap for the first time.

Search this Thread