Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

would this work?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 03:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default would this work?

So my car's stock 10-bolt doesn't have too much life left in it. I'd like to get an LS1 built 9" rear, but those suckers go for about $2300, and I cannot afford that right now (broke college student). Here's my idea (I'd like opinions to see if htis would work or not):
First, I can get a Moser bolt-in housing package for $800 (includes housing, torque arm bracket, axles - your choice in splines, wheel bearings, wheel studs, and retainer plates).
Then, I can search on ebay for a rebuilt complete centersection with a posi or locker (I've seen them go for about ~$500), and bolt it up to the Moser package.

Would this work? I'm sure there may be a few other parts I may be forgetting to add, but for $1300 I think I can get all the essentials. I figure it should all be done for less than $1500. Anyone see a reason why this would NOT work?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Turo
So my car's stock 10-bolt doesn't have too much life left in it. I'd like to get an LS1 built 9" rear, but those suckers go for about $2300, and I cannot afford that right now (broke college student). Here's my idea (I'd like opinions to see if htis would work or not):
First, I can get a Moser bolt-in housing package for $800 (includes housing, torque arm bracket, axles - your choice in splines, wheel bearings, wheel studs, and retainer plates).
Then, I can search on ebay for a rebuilt complete centersection with a posi or locker (I've seen them go for about ~$500), and bolt it up to the Moser package.

Would this work? I'm sure there may be a few other parts I may be forgetting to add, but for $1300 I think I can get all the essentials. I figure it should all be done for less than $1500. Anyone see a reason why this would NOT work?
You'll need to figure out what to do about your ABS, and match spline counts.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Im planning on ditching ABS, and I have no TCS so no worries there. I'd like to use a locker, so I'd get the axles to be 31 spline, and make sure the differential is 31 spline also.

Last edited by Turo; 03-30-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned

dont see many center sections with lockers go for less than $800 on ebay and where are you getting the housing and axles for only $800? The Fbody bolt in housing is $955 plus shipping You will also need to get a new U joint to match the yolk on the housing and have someone press your axle bearings on. Its an idea that will definately work just dont see it being quite as cheap as youd expect.

CMC
Old 03-30-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hawkcmc
dont see many center sections with lockers go for less than $800 on ebay and where are you getting the housing and axles for only $800? The Fbody bolt in housing is $955 plus shipping You will also need to get a new U joint to match the yolk on the housing and have someone press your axle bearings on. Its an idea that will definately work just dont see it being quite as cheap as youd expect.

CMC
I saw one centersection go for $550 so I guessed that was the average price. Even if it's ~$800, the idea is to see if the difference in price from buying a complete 9" is worth the trouble. As far as the package price, Moser's website has it listed for $955, but when I did a search here on theis topic, I found a few threads with people mentioning that they got this package directly from some of the sponsors for $800 (not including tax/shipping). I think TTP was one of the sponsors mentioned, but I have to find those posts again to be sure. Thanks for the replies, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for .

Last edited by Turo; 03-30-2005 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Banned

I have seen center sections go for pretty cheap to but they had Posi's in them. Not something you probably want. Do you plan on doing this soon?
Old 03-30-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I plan on doing the same thing as you but i'll probably just run a stock posi for a while. If you want to you can search around stang sites and try to find a used 69-70 stang centersection out of a Boss or CJ mustang. They can be had used for about 5-700 bucks. If you get one from a Drag pack car they come either 3.90 or 4.30 gears, an "N" case and factory 31 spline detroit lockers so they shouldn't have any gear whine as they are factory set up pieces.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Hawkcmc,
The earliest I would do this would be this summer. I'm still tring to figure out what is involved.

Z95m6,
Is the 'N' case stronger than say a regular iron case?

My idea was to use something like this: CLICK HERE, then upgrade to a locker later on.

Last edited by Turo; 03-30-2005 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:00 PM
Banned

The N stands for Nodular Iron and is the strongest stock case you can buy, the case in the above listed is a stock case and I wouldnt get it if you were thinking of any serious power. Heres a link to a guy with a Moser case that was not nodular, and this was done on a cam only car. Pics are on the 14th post.
https://ls1tech.com/forums//showthread.php?t=293502
Old 03-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Banned

By The Way I do not want you to think that I am trying to stop you from doing this because it very well can be done but be sure you research into this in depth and get the right stuff the first time around. If you need any help let me know and I will assist you as best as I can. If you are looking for a place to buy stuff let me know I might be able to get you some good deals.

CMC
Old 03-30-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Hawkcmc
By The Way I do not want you to think that I am trying to stop you from doing this because it very well can be done but be sure you research into this in depth and get the right stuff the first time around. If you need any help let me know and I will assist you as best as I can. If you are looking for a place to buy stuff let me know I might be able to get you some good deals.

CMC
No no, this is great, you've been extremely helpful so far.

I've been pricing out the parts (seeing what the best prices I can get), and this is what i have so far:

- housing/torque arm bracket/31-spline axles/wheel bearings/wheel studs/retainer plates - $900 (I was wrong when I said 800 above)
- nodular case - $225 (average ebay price)
- detroit locker(31 spline) - $450 (haven't been able to find it cheper yet, still looking)
- 4.11 gears - $125 (again, average ebay price)
- master install kit $90 (summit racing)
- 1350 yoke - $100 (again, average ebay price)

Plus let's say about $200 to have someone set up the gears (I don't know the first thing about setting gears in properly), bringing the total to $2000, not including shipping. Anyone see anything I am forgetting in the above list? I'm using the stock backing plates.

So it looks like a minimum of $2000, OR I can get a Billingsley street 9" for $300 more (which would probably come with some sort of warranty). I guess my idea wasn't so good after all, unless I can find those parts for cheaper (this is of course asumming i'm not forgetting anything). Hmm, I'm going to have to think about it

Last edited by Turo; 03-30-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Just remembered that the list above does not include a pinion support, so add $125 to the above. Sheesh, I really thought this would be cheaper. I'm not giving up though, I just need to find better deals on parts

Last edited by Turo; 03-30-2005 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:36 AM
Banned

Billingsley doesnt really offer any warrantees that I know of. Keep researching you will be fine. If you have any other questions let me know.

CMC
Old 04-07-2005, 08:57 PM
Teching In

After reading how much effort it will take and the danger of second hand parts, $2300 doesn't sound half bad. But I'd like to suggest an alternative. Have you ever considered a Ford (yeah I know) 8.8? I have one for the Monte Carlo I'm building with around $600 in it that will take around 450 HP. I have a friend with a stick Mustang turning 10.20/130+ with an 8.8 that just needs freshened clutch packs every season, and thats after 6 seasons!