Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing shortblock

Why can't I yank the shortblock out? All the bolts holding it to the tranny have been removed. I can't get the passenger side to seperate. The drivers side seperates fine. I removed 8 bolts from the tranny too. I am trying to pull it from the top cause I really don't want to drop the K-member and pull it from the bottom. Is there something I am missing? The motor mount bolts have been removed to as well as the oil pan bolts. Just so no one thinks I forgot these bolts.
Old 03-30-2005, 10:14 PM
BADA BING BADA BOOM!!!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try using a prybar to pry on the pass. side mount. If the motor has been in the car for a long while it can be a little stubborn. Make sure there are no wires attached.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:15 AM
10 Second Club

I can't even get a pry bar in there! There are no wires or anything it is just being stubborn. I was just thinking maybe there is something I missed or a technique to getting it out. I sure hope I can get this thing out. It is a 2000 and the motor has never been removed.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you just remove the bolts to the tranny, or did you remove the tranny itself? The tranny has dowels that will hold it to the engine so you either need to pull the tranny or pull them both together.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:14 AM
m6z
12 Second Club

ya what he said, you need to seperate the trans from the block if you havent. the dowls the line the two up will seize into the trans case. I did a clutch swap/trans rebuild about a month ago and had to pry the **** out of the bellhousing to get it off. good luck.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah the tranny is still mounted. I was hoping to pull the motor with out the tranny. I see the dowels but didn't know I would need to pull the tranny too. So either way I pull the engine (top or bottom) I should remove the tranny too?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, take the tranny out from the bottom. I just did a H/C swap, along with a new TC, I had more trouble taking the tranny out than anything else, I had to pry on it like no other. I kind of welds itself in place with the dowel pins. I pulled my engine most of the way out during my swap, because the oil dipstick tube broke off in the oil pan so i had to take the pan off to get it out. With the engine disassembled it should come out the top no problem. If and when I do it again i will take it out the bottom and put a lightweight K member and new a arms. Good luck
Old 03-31-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yaal are retarted if you are going to take the tranny out of the bottom.

I bet what is holdoing motor in is the motor mounts. Why dont u just unbolt them from the Kmember.

Did you take the DS out and the tranny cross member and the wiring harness of the tranny.

Also you need to drop the *** end of the tranny so the motor can come straight up.

The enigen hoist will be almost maxed out when you get the motor out of the car.

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either pull the tranny and engine together out the top, or pull the tranny first out the bottom. The engine's not coming out with the tranny in place.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

tranny out the bottom engine out the top have to twist a little maybe to clear valve covers and cowl it does come out fairly easily though
Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Bad Seller Alert

Just pulled mine out the other day. It was easier to pull the motor and tranny out together through the top. Put the front of the car on jackstands about 2 feet off the ground. Make sure everything is unbolted and all wires unpluged. There is a ton of sensors in there. Then you have to tilt the motor up a pretty good ways. Almost so the tranny is touching the floor. A little lift and tilt here and there and it will come out. Not as hard as i thought it would be.