Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I do this to my headers???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Can I do this to my headers???

I found out last night that the AIR flanges coming off of my primaries on my headers is starting to crack around the welds and started leaking making for a not so pleasurable tick while accelerating, cheap *** Jet Hots. Anyway canI take some JB Weld or something and run around the base of it to seal it back up or are they just junk and I need to buy new ones??
Old 03-31-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
I found out last night that the AIR flanges coming off of my primaries on my headers is starting to crack around the welds and started leaking making for a not so pleasurable tick while accelerating, cheap *** Jet Hots. Anyway canI take some JB Weld or something and run around the base of it to seal it back up or are they just junk and I need to buy new ones??
You could weld them up. JB Weld is some neat stuff, but not sure it will work on headers..
Old 03-31-2005, 09:38 AM
Launching!

wouldn't hurt to try the jb for a cheap fix. You would be doing that 408 a favor by moving up to some bigger primary size headers, especially with the nitrous flowing.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

JB Weld will not work on hot exhaust. It will flake off. I have used JB Weld successfully on cracked auto transmissions, where the heat is less than 250 degrees.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Addict

Buy a set of stainless headers. The mild steel will crack on you again because you're putting a lot of heat in them. Don't waste your money on the JB weld.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JB weld does not work on exhaust manifolds or headers.. it will overheat, smoke and oooze around making a horrible mess.

get someone to put a weld on it, and it'll be fixed...
Old 03-31-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by necrocannibal

Weld or have it welded up. It could probably be done on the car for $20 at a muffler shop. The coating will be damaged as it will need to be removed where the weld is going to be. JB weld will cause problems when trying to weld later.