Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tr224, newbie, valve spring question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tr224, newbie, valve spring question

ok i have read tons of threads abotu this cam, and i think it the way i want to go. I have some money and its burnin a hole in my pocket. So i am eather doin the tr224 or a nx kit. I have read that you have to chage your valve springs ever certin amount of miles, how many? Also wihat will my car put down with thsi cam... with my mods in my sig i put down 335hp and 356tq. Woudl i be better of with a 125 shot or cam? Thanks alot guys
Old 03-31-2005, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's no hard and fast rule about how long valve springs last... they won't last as long as an OEM setup, but that's the trade off for performance. It all depends on how you drive... if you spend most of your time shifting over 6k rpms, your valve springs will wear out faster.

With an aftermarket cam and valvetrain setup, I think it's a good idea to check the springs every 20k miles or so, especially if you're hard on them. With that said, there are plenty of guys who go 30k, 40k, 50k miles on that exact kind of setup... so it all depends on your habits.

As for what you'll put down... again, it all depends on how it works with your setup. With what you've put down so far, I'd say the 375rwhp/375rwtq range wouldn't be out of the question and would be quite realistic.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, a n20 shot is gonna give u more power, but a cam will give u a stronger engine ALL the time. i dunno about u, but i like having a strong motor underneath me. and if u ever need n20, u have it to spray. but when u dont need it, u can still have a kick *** street car. there aint nuthin like feelin a cammed ls1 pull all the way to 6.5k. so there u go. as far as springs, the stock springs wont like handling that much cam, so its good to go ahead and upgrade to a 918 spring or something of the like. how long they will last depends on the lift of the cam and the weight of your right foot.