Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light/Header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES Light/Header install

Own a 99 Ls1 and did flowtech header install. Im throwing a SES light and dont have the rear 02's installed. How do I go about testing to see if I am running rich or lean w/ out software and how do I check the code w/ out a code reader. Thanks

----------

Q: How do I check on my LS1 whether im running rich or lean w/out use of software and by not starring at and smelling the exhaust
Q: How do I get the codes w/ out a code reader????

Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A: You can't .... only ways to gauge rich/lean is to do the "smell" test or to log w/a scanner software or at minimum a wideband O2 sensor to see if you're rich/lean ... if your headers turn bright red... you're too lean
A: Not possible on OBDII, you need to get it read via a code reader/scanner ..
Old 03-31-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Why not get a pair of rear o2 sims. You can have the codes read at autozone or so I've been told.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by horist
A: You can't .... only ways to gauge rich/lean is to do the "smell" test or to log w/a scanner software or at minimum a wideband O2 sensor to see if you're rich/lean ... if your headers turn bright red... you're too lean
A: Not possible on OBDII, you need to get it read via a code reader/scanner ..
So I can check voltage anywhere to test for air/fuel ratio?? also its almost certain my rear 02's thats throwing the SES light???? and Not having the rears in does that cause any possible harm in any way?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no rears won't hurt performance... just the annoying light...

You can try grabbing the O2 sensor voltage (0 to 1 volt) ... w/out any software not much you can tell though... the O2 sensors vary high low high low , and the PCM adds/removes fuel to keep the O2s averaging 14.7:1 ... at WOT they're not very accurate and w/out some way to log ... it'll be hard to watch a voltmeter while accelerating at WOT