Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed stall converter, now leaking?

Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed stall converter, now leaking?

I just had a 2800 Midwest stall converter and tranny cooler put in my 93 auto lt1 today. Got it back, took it for a drive, and it seemed fine. Noticed that there was a leak under the car after I got home. I drove it around a little bit, and noticed the tranny was slipping like crazy...pretty much all the fluid had leaked out when I checked. I put in some fluid, and took it back to the shop..where its now awaiting diagnosis. It shifted fine once the fluid was back in there. It didn't look like the lines from the trans cooler were leaking, but its hard to say because there was spray everywhere.

Can a bad stall converter cause a leak? or is it just because the shop didn't seal it right? I am hoping the converter isnt the problem, I would hate to shell out another 600 bucks for another
Old 03-31-2005, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

My guess, the stupid little cheap "E" clips that hold the cooler lines in place. I hate them with a passion. Mine have never leaked, but 2 friends of mine have. They actually work fine, problem is they look clipped and they may not actually be in all the way, and when it blows, IT BLOWS. Hard to determine where it was coming from on the first one because the mess was so big. Second one, I knew where to look. So hopefully its a $.29 clip causing your problem.

Good Luck
Old 03-31-2005, 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by vin1382
I just had a 2800 Midwest stall converter and tranny cooler put in my 93 auto lt1 today. Got it back, took it for a drive, and it seemed fine. Noticed that there was a leak under the car after I got home. I drove it around a little bit, and noticed the tranny was slipping like crazy...pretty much all the fluid had leaked out when I checked. I put in some fluid, and took it back to the shop..where its now awaiting diagnosis. It shifted fine once the fluid was back in there. It didn't look like the lines from the trans cooler were leaking, but its hard to say because there was spray everywhere.

Can a bad stall converter cause a leak? or is it just because the shop didn't seal it right? I am hoping the converter isnt the problem, I would hate to shell out another 600 bucks for another

probably the front pump seal- problem is the trans has to come back out to fix it but it isn't hard to replace and i don't think it is too expensive of a part. i will be replacing mine soon (trans is coming out anyway) just for piece or mind, i had some minor leakage on the bottum of the bell-housing last time i looked...
Old 03-31-2005, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Spurtle
So hopefully its a $.29 clip causing your problem.

Good Luck

Try $9.16 clip at the dealer. I bent one last weekend and had to replace it. Went to the dealer and about passed out when he told me how much they were. I bought 4 to keep in my tool box for those "just in case" times.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MidwestiTC's are known for leaking. Mine did and the front cover had a hairline fracture in it.

Search this Thread