Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys ever seen Kent PD's Corvette?

this is their caprice

Old 04-01-2005, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Our tax dollars at work.
Not likely...........try drug/asset forfeiture money at work.........10 years in the business and my old man is still in the business after 40 years....no way a Department uses tax dollars/regular budget $$ for something like that.

The first pic shows it is a DARE car.....that stuff is ALL funded by seized money/items and/or sponsors, not your/our tax dollars. Y'all can relax about that.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Addict

So the departments just get to keep money from seized ish and distribute as wanted? I think what Steve meant to say was just that the money that funded that race car could have been better spent towards things that our tax dollars actually get spent on.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Poik
So the departments just get to keep money from seized ish and distribute as wanted? I think what Steve meant to say was just that the money that funded that race car could have been better spent towards things that our tax dollars actually get spent on.
With drug/asset forfeitures, the money is Federally required to go back into the type of program it was obtained from....for example, drug money (etc) seizures, the money has to go back into Narcotics enforcement/education. Racing/Race cars is seen as a great way to educate the public and help build up a repoire with the "street racer" crowd to get them more involved in legal racing, etc. And the "DARE" race cars have been a HUGE hit for decades. LAPD fields a Pro Stock (I thiink that is the class) drag car that has been hugely successful not only in winning races but helping to promote community trust (slowly but surely) as well as promoting legal forms of racing/providing an alternative to gangs & drugs/etc. Like when you see on TV or in person a Lamborghini "DARE" car, or a Hummer H1/H2 "DARE" car, etc...those were seized and put to use to help fight/educate the people about the drug problem. And before someone asks why they don't sell those cars to use the money for other forms of enforcement, the Depts have to pay taxes on the money from the sale and it usually isn't worth it in the long run with 90+% of the seized cars. So they make them DARE cars......also pisses off the dealer they seized it from when he sees some cop driving his $100k + Lambo down the road with a light bar and cop decals on it.

Department involved racing has been VERY helpful in/with community relations, bridging the gap between the cops and the kids on the streets in their cars, etc. Also, the pic of that white Chevy had quite a few stickers on it from sponsors, meaning that they (the sponsors) specifically earmarked/donated that money to go to that (or a very similar) project.

As a matter of fact, there was a show on one of the car channels/speed shows documenting the LAPD racing team and how the guys have to go beat the bushes to get funding as the Dept won't cough up one penny for it..........keeping your tax dollars where they belong.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rottluver
With drug/asset forfeitures, the money is Federally required to go back into the type of program it was obtained from....for example, drug money (etc) seizures, the money has to go back into Narcotics enforcement/education. Racing/Race cars is seen as a great way to educate the public and help build up a repoire with the "street racer" crowd to get them more involved in legal racing, etc. And the "DARE" race cars have been a HUGE hit for decades. LAPD fields a Pro Stock (I thiink that is the class) drag car that has been hugely successful not only in winning races but helping to promote community trust (slowly but surely) as well as promoting legal forms of racing/providing an alternative to gangs & drugs/etc. Like when you see on TV or in person a Lamborghini "DARE" car, or a Hummer H1/H2 "DARE" car, etc...those were seized and put to use to help fight/educate the people about the drug problem. And before someone asks why they don't sell those cars to use the money for other forms of enforcement, the Depts have to pay taxes on the money from the sale and it usually isn't worth it in the long run with 90+% of the seized cars. So they make them DARE cars......also pisses off the dealer they seized it from when he sees some cop driving his $100k + Lambo down the road with a light bar and cop decals on it.

Department involved racing has been VERY helpful in/with community relations, bridging the gap between the cops and the kids on the streets in their cars, etc. Also, the pic of that white Chevy had quite a few stickers on it from sponsors, meaning that they (the sponsors) specifically earmarked/donated that money to go to that (or a very similar) project.

As a matter of fact, there was a show on one of the car channels/speed shows documenting the LAPD racing team and how the guys have to go beat the bushes to get funding as the Dept won't cough up one penny for it..........keeping your tax dollars where they belong.
Yup, Damn near word for word what my father in law told me. He is the chief of police in the Garden City PD outside Boise. They have a 3rd gen running LOOOOOOOW 9's
Old 04-01-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Yup, Damn near word for word what my father in law told me. He is the chief of police in the Garden City PD outside Boise. They have a 3rd gen running LOOOOOOOW 9's
I occasionally make feeble attempts to spout the truth. This being one of those times.

Quick Reply: o4 impala Cops Are Getting serious LOL LOL