Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual versus Single WB Tuning/Monitoring

Old 04-01-2005, 09:05 AM
BB
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual versus Single WB Tuning/Monitoring

What are your thoughts on this? Obviously dual WB O2 sensors is more expensive. But, I am more concerned if single is enough for the job. Will banks differ so much that there is much to gain in tuning for HP with a dual setup? Will the banks differ so much that engine damage is at risk?

Of course, I could just go ahead an monitor this at each port
Old 04-01-2005, 09:15 AM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you have an issue like a plugged up injector, a vacuum leak or something else mechanically wrong that will affect fueling and mixture of the left bank versus the right, a dual WBAFR adds no value in my opinion. All of the tables that affect fueling/mixture treat the engine as a whole. During closed loop operation the associated fuel trims which are split-up by bank, left and right, but you have no tuning control over this. The PCM is simply obeying the dictates of the NBO2 sensors.

With a single WBAFR you can adjust your AFR for the engine as a whole and look at the injector duty cycles which should be running close for each bank as a verification that things are balanced. Also, when in closed loop operation, the voltage from the left and right bank should be bouncing back and forth at about the same rate. If one side is running rich or lean, you'll see it reflected in the NBO2 sensor voltages.

Steve

Search this Thread