Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Where to find inner and outer barrels for 3-piece wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Where to find inner and outer barrels for 3-piece wheels

Is there any place that can manufacture custom inner and outer wheel barrels for a 17" 3-piece wheel. I want to use the centers that I have but the offset is incorrect.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

What kind of wheels are they? I need the same for 1 Fikse to complete a set.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Launching!

The wheels are Simmons. I noticed a website Kodiakracingwheels has shells for sale. I'll inquire if they have different sizes.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simmons has them why don't you call them?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Launching!

If you call Fikse they will change either or both barrels depending on what you need. They're customer service is excellent in my experiance.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Called Simmons-want to know what other options I have. Simmons can only change the inner and outer barrels by 1/2" increments and I'd like "custom" offset.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you're considering something that would not be cost effective. I suppose we could make in-between sizes vs. the standard 1/2 inch, though tooling for it would be astronomical.

I think what your considering to be "custom" choosing something within 1/2 inch is completely acceptable. If your working with such tiight tolorances that you need 1/8 of an inch difference, I'd consider revising your setup as those tolorances are so small. We get guys asking for variances of even 1/4 inch...that is about the thickness of a pencil...something you would never see. Even tires from one design to another can vary easily by 1/4 inch...

If you must have 1/4 inch difference, use a spacer.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Launching!

Still looking for any manufacturers. Spacers are not an option due to the added weight. 6.35 mm offset increments are not close enough of a tolerance.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:05 PM
FormerVendor

Good luck, unless your willing to spend 15k for a custom set. 1/4 of an inch is just too small...you can't possibly have issues with fitment with that small amount. If you do, it would be cheaper to just adjust your inner fender area and have it 1/2 inch futher inward.

We build rims for use with 315's that fit without issues...not sure of what tire your using but It would be MUCH cheaper to even mini-tub the car then go with whatever you like. For that matter, even shortening your axles would be better. Then you'll save even more weight.

If your using a larger/wider tire then that, the weight of a spacer is nothing compared to the extreme weight of the tires...not to mention, the tires will have a MUCH larger effect on rotational mass vs a spacer.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is somenthing else to consider as I had my custom wheels made (which were WAY less that $15,000) with offsets available in mm increments not 1/2" jumps in spacing as 1/4" is very noticable to me. Yes 1/2" adjustment are made with the inner and outer barrels but the smaller minute adjustments are made by the thickness of the mounting pad and how deep the lug holes are drilled. The two options combined can give you virtually any offset desired for a 3 pc wheel.

The only problem 70T/A400 has is his wheel centers have already been cut and drilled so he is now limited to 1/2" offset increments like steve10 said with the inner and outer barrels. So if you must have custom offsets then I suggest that you sell the wheels and have a set custom built to what you really want. Yes if will cost more but you have to pay to play as they say.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:55 PM
FormerVendor

SS. Good point on the centers. Remember, you had custom centers cut not custom spun shells. We do adjust the center pads and do have some variability...not an option here. He's essentially talking about having custom spun shells done...which would not be cheap. The easiest alternative is to just change the axle tube length... You can have infinite adjustability to whatever you wish at that point.

I'm not creating an arguement...I find is amazing how you can see 1/4 inch...inflate/deflating your tires can make up that much of a difference...not to mention from one tire brand to another. 1/2 inch or more is generally noticeable; you can generally adjust your setup to accommodate both. I'm not certain to as to what your rims are setup as but it appears to be at ~7.5-8 inches of BS.

I think many can agree (and there was a recent post on this one), tolorances on our cars are not tight...one car w/7.5 inches may look more tucked then another car with 7.75 on an 11 inch rim for example.

Going with variances of popular vette wheels for 315/17's varies about 20mm or ~.75 inches. Both fit under the fender and that is ~.75 inches difference...but they both still work. It is a matter of appearance at that point, whether you prefer the rim to tuck a bit more or have the tire look wider from a side profile.

From experience working with rims day in and day out, it's very common for folks to get hung up on such small numbers when there are so many other variables that effect the overall look.

Quick Reply: Where to find inner and outer barrels for 3-piece wheels