Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1 3/4'' to 1 7/8'' stepped kooks with just cam - Will this hurt performance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 1 3/4'' to 1 7/8'' stepped kooks with just cam - Will this hurt performance?

Basically on their website that 1 3/4'' to 1 7/8'' stepped headers should be coupled with forced induction, n2o, or big cam cars. I will eventually be doing a new set of heads, or possibly n2o or procharger (but that could be down the road a ways). Thinking ahead I thought that these headers will be okay until I get those items installed.

However, a member on the board says I will loose lots of backpressure (if they are installed on my current setup of just a cam). I can imagine that I won't be utilizing these headers to their full potential, but will it necessarily hurt me a lot before I get the other items installed?

Essentially I am trying to gauge whether going with a straight 1 3/4'' piping is better than a 1 3/4'' - 1 7/8'' stepped (since I may not be getting n2o or FI anytime within the next year or so). What sort of gains or losses will I experience with either of those setups?
Old 04-01-2005, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lsevenl
Basically on their website that 1 3/4'' to 1 7/8'' stepped headers should be coupled with forced induction, n2o, or big cam cars. I will eventually be doing a new set of heads, or possibly n2o or procharger (but that could be down the road a ways). Thinking ahead I thought that these headers will be okay until I get those items installed.

However, a member on the board says I will loose lots of backpressure (if they are installed on my current setup of just a cam). I can imagine that I won't be utilizing these headers to their full potential, but will it necessarily hurt me a lot before I get the other items installed?

Essentially I am trying to gauge whether going with a straight 1 3/4'' piping is better than a 1 3/4'' - 1 7/8'' stepped (since I may not be getting n2o or FI anytime within the next year or so). What sort of gains or losses will I experience with either of those setups?

Anyone?
Old 04-02-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Junkie

since you will ultimately need 1 7/8ths headers just get the big ones to start off with and be done with it. Even if it hurts power now which it probably wont at least you will save money in the long run.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:02 AM
11 Second Club

Okay, my issue was about how much power it would stiffle in the short run, any idea?

Thanks for the help btw.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

no power loss will be seen......I ran the 1 7/8th's kooks on my stock internal car and didn't lose any low end. It also helps you out if you plan on further mods in the future.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

good, that's exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks!
Old 04-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Staging Lane

Yep I have those same headers on my car with just exhaust and It doesn't seem like I lost any HP at all. I'm planning on installing a ProCharger within the next couple of months so thats why I ordered the STEP headers. You should be happy with them and save some money in the long run.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by '01 WS6 TA
no power loss will be seen......I ran the 1 7/8th's kooks on my stock internal car and didn't lose any low end. It also helps you out if you plan on further mods in the future.
Same results for me on my old stock cube H/C car. Went from 1 3/4" TTS headers to Kook's 1 7/8" headers. I lost nothing and gained a tiny bit of HP NA. But I picked up an additional 20+rwhp on the N2O. As was said before, with the 1 7/8" headers you'll be ready for practically any future performance upgrades.