Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

408 vs mod-ed lightning 400hp+

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 408 vs mod-ed lightning 400hp+

I was at my buddies shop today helping out with a temp gauge install, when a pack of guys roll-up in a 04 silver ford lightning. This shop is mostly all fords, packed with 5.0's in the parking lot. The owner Tony ( good friend of mine) starts talking with the group of guys and says he has a good race for him and pointed at my car. The driver of the lightning starts to laugh and sounded really confident about his truck. So I asked the driver what was done to it..he has the smaller pulley, chip, full exhaust with nittos and dynode around 400 hp and over 500 ft lbs.

We both agreed on the race form a dig with me off the bottle. i told the driver if he wins its because i didnt hook...just to rattle his nerves lol..pluse I am on street tires, no radials, so I made sure i heated them up really well! We line up at a light do another quick burnout....light turns green and i start to spin bad while he hooks...we stayed dead even till about 35mph, soon as i hooked it was like he hit the brakes! I stayed into it till 120 mph with about 4-5 busses on him After the race I gave him a thumbs up but he kept on driving...I think I hurt his ego on that one
Old 04-03-2005, 07:12 AM
TECH Veteran

What did he expect...

Good kill.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chrdij
I was at my buddies shop today helping out with a temp gauge install, when a pack of guys roll-up in a 04 silver ford lightning. This shop is mostly all fords, packed with 5.0's in the parking lot. The owner Tony ( good friend of mine) starts talking with the group of guys and says he has a good race for him and pointed at my car. The driver of the lightning starts to laugh and sounded really confident about his truck. So I asked the driver what was done to it..he has the smaller pulley, chip, full exhaust with nittos and dynode around 400 hp and over 500 ft lbs.

We both agreed on the race form a dig with me off the bottle. i told the driver if he wins its because i didnt hook...just to rattle his nerves lol..pluse I am on street tires, no radials, so I made sure i heated them up really well! We line up at a light do another quick burnout....light turns green and i start to spin bad while he hooks...we stayed dead even till about 35mph, soon as i hooked it was like he hit the brakes! I stayed into it till 120 mph with about 4-5 busses on him After the race I gave him a thumbs up but he kept on driving...I think I hurt his ego on that one
As soon as I saw the specs on both vehicles, I knew you'd be measuring this kill in buslengths. Nice Kill!
Old 04-03-2005, 01:20 PM
Launching!

some have to learn the hardway
Old 04-03-2005, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Awesome kill those lightnings get on my nerves. Around here they always think they can beat anyone. Way to put that Ford back in its place on the food chain.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LoL nice race, did he know you had a huge cammed 408 in there or did he think you were running the stock LS1 with a cam? My lord I can imagine how bad you pulled on him once you got traction. Too bad you didnt get that on tape, that would have been awesome! Nice kill.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
LoL nice race, did he know you had a huge cammed 408 in there or did he think you were running the stock LS1 with a cam? My lord I can imagine how bad you pulled on him once you got traction. Too bad you didnt get that on tape, that would have been awesome! Nice kill.
thanks! he was told what was under the hood and seen the bottle in the back. I guess he thought he had a chance since he was on nittos and me with the cheapest "Pepboys" tires I could find. I do have the whole thing on vid, but I have no way of hosting, if someone could help me out?!
Old 04-04-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

just a little bit of that HPE power
Old 04-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

Dude what kinda hp are you putting to the ground? I wanna do a 408 setup too when i get out of college
Old 04-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01sunsetSS
Dude what kinda hp are you putting to the ground? I wanna do a 408 setup too when i get out of college
Why wait to get out of college? I still have 2 yrs left! HAHA I see your in Fairfax county, what part? I live here in Centreville right at your back door. I thought I knew all the hooked-up F-bods around here.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Haha my cars far from hooked up but yea I live in Oakton, went to Oakton high school and Im a freshman at James Madison university right now. Once im out of school id really like to check out your car we should meet up in May sometime.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01sunsetSS
Haha my cars far from hooked up but yea I live in Oakton, went to Oakton high school and Im a freshman at James Madison university right now. Once im out of school id really like to check out your car we should meet up in May sometime.
Sounds good, shoot me a pm when your down this way.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

hey, did you get a chance to host that vid?
Old 04-06-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great kill. I knew how this one was gonna end up. I want to see the vid.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

What did he think was going to happen? I thought he'd at least have a KB and some spray to be that confident knowing what youve got under the hood.

Last edited by greentahoe; 04-06-2005 at 03:08 PM.