Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock everything with cutout???

Old 04-03-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Stock everything with cutout???

OK I've done my research, checked ls1sounds.com, and still cant find any clips of a stock ws6 with a cutout. Anybody have a clip or can tell me why this is a good/bad idea? Or should I just wait till I get all new exhaust? Im not trying to gain a bunch (or any really) of hp, just wanting some more sound when I feel like it. Also, will this hurt performance? My dad worked for GM and is convinced that this will only hurt me because "new ls1's need back pressure!" Thanks guys!

Cale
Old 04-03-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car was pretty much stock and I removed my Borla cat back and ran it like that for a while. I don't think it ran any worse, maybe lost a little low end if anything. It wasn't real loud while normal driving but at WOT it sounded like a Nascar! You could put a cutout in the I Pipe and would get the same effect...

Kevin
Old 04-03-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea go with the cutout in the i pipe, trust me, with the stock manifold, cats, and stock y pipe there will be pleanty of back pressure for that engine. you may gain a few hp, but not loose any, and its worth it just for the sound alone
Old 04-03-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

I second that get one I picked up 8-9 hp you will love the sound as well.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The cutout won't rob you of any power, I had one in mine before the headers. It sounds pretty good really, definitely noticeable. If you really want a first hand impression just unbolt your stock y-pipe and fire it up. That will be pretty close to the sound of a cutout. Since you have a 2000 unbolting the y only takes 5 minutes (assuming the exhaust bolts don't break).
Old 04-03-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have one[electric]and really have alot of fun with it--lots of people haven't seen them yet----nice being able to do it from inside in 5 seconds....

Search this Thread