Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Header won't clear steering shaft....

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Header won't clear steering shaft....

I bolted on my pacesetter header and I cant put the steering shaft back on. Does anyone out there make thinner steering shafts to clear the headers better? Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to bang my headers in just to clear the shaft.

Thanks
Old 04-03-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it should clear the shaft just fine. if its the first part of the shaft getting in your way try unbolting your rack and pinion and moving it to the side,bolt it up and move it back into place. but like i said it should fit fine
Old 04-03-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

Are you having trouble just getting the driver's side header in or did you actually get it in but you can't get the steering linkage back on?

If it's the steering linkage giving you problems you have to slide the bottom on first and then the top can go on. I know it can be frustrating but it does go back on I promise.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

The header is already on, and now I am just trying to get the linkage back on. I always try to put it on top first, then bottom second, and the other way seemed impossible when I tried it. I will try that again when I get a new steering linkage though. So no one out there makes a thinner steering linkage? Can the rack and pinion be moved a little bit?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i sometimes have to take the linkage off and chuck it up into the vice and get a BFH and a screwdriver..then i wedge the screwdriver in the bottom half and spread the lower part apart so it will slide over the shaft on the rack..dont worry about it being loose when you tighten your bolt back up it will pull it back together...just make sure you tighten it good. this also leaves it enough space for it to move around so you can work it on the top as well.
matt
Old 04-04-2005, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

I did what you did redbandit, and then the shaft broke from being so tight in the vice. I will try that also when I get my new one. Ill post my progress when I get my new one (probably friday or saturday I'll have it)
Old 04-13-2005, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Ok, the car is all set. I got the steering shaft on, but it still touches the headers. The steering is definetly not correct because you can feel a real strong resistance in the wheel on certain turns. I also hear some clunking when I turn. The car does have 94,xxx mile motor mounts, do you think replacing those with some poly ones would help the situation out? Also, how hard is it to replace the motor mounts when the headers are on? I was thinking about removing the alternator and ac compressor to make easier access to the mounts but I dont want to remove the headers.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2005, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't even touch the shaft when putting the header in on that side.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

OMFG Thats messed up. Thats the first time ive heard of a fitment issue with Pacesetters.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

like the first response said, try unbolting the steering linkage from the firewall from the inside and moving her over.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Yea it sucks, I'm thinking about getting some new motor mounts.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Did you get this to worK? If not, I may have an answer for you. Did you buy this car new? If not, the previous owner may have changed the steering rack. Usually that is fine unless he got it from Autozone or opted for the cheaper of the two offered. I know for a fact that Autozone is packaging the wrong units and passing it off as the correct part. I went through this going from a manual steering rack back to power steering. After playing this game with Autozone, I had to go to O'Reilly Auto and order the correct unit which is 22-185 . There is a HUGE difference in the way the line-up. The motor mounts won't make a difference if this is your problem and beating up the header won't work either. Go to Partsamerica.com and look-up the two units that are offered. I can almost guarantee you that you have the wrong one on the car. The cheaper one will clear stock headers, but the shaft is a bitch to get on.

Quick Reply: HELP! Header won't clear steering shaft....