Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Y pipe clearance w/ lowered car

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y pipe clearance w/ lowered car

I'm putting Pacesetter Lt's and a 3" TSP ORY in. The car has the Eibach Pro kit on it. Right now I've got about 3-1/4" clearance with the stock "flat" Y pipe on the dr. side. I am curious how much clearance you guys with lowered cars and LT's & 3" Y pipe have?
Old 04-04-2005, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

man, you might want to switch to some difference springs...something that doesnt lower the car so much like hotchkis springs...thats pretty low, especially with stock y....throw some LT's and a 3'' ory and youll have more like 2.5''(s) of clearence...

that being said, i have stock springs on my car with LT's and a catted Y and i have like 4''(s) of clearence...when i drop with hotchkis i plan on having about 3'' which is cutting it really close...

just something to think about...but lets see what the other guys have to say about there setups..

Jon
Old 04-04-2005, 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

2.5" is what I came up with also. I have the stock springs so I think those will be going back in the car. I just got the car out of winter storage but I don't remember it being this low -lol I thought the Eibach pro kit was only suposed to be a 1" drop?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Remeber that the lowest section of the exhaust is the y-pipe on the drivers side. Most manufacturers that produce 3" y-pipes crush that part of the exhaust, so you won't loose as much clearance as you think. IMO, you should go with Kooks or QTPs if you're worried about clearance. I have Kook's and don't see any noticeable diff between a stock y-setup and my Kook's ORY.

EDIT: They crush the y-pipe and still tuck it higher than the stock y-pipe, that is why we get the banging all the time. That goes to show that you probably don't lose more than a 1/2" of clearance.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With my car lowered 1.5 and having the Pacesetter ORY equipped. I scrape on EVERYTHING! I only have about 2 inches clearance between the Y and the ground. I cant stand it....
Old 04-04-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Regular

you guys should all stop crying about your pacesetters. my friend has a 2000 ss and he is lowered 1.5" and he doesnt scrape with his pacesetters and y. i have SLP's and that waas the worst decision i have made on the car yet. (was forced into buying them because i needed a set overnight and they were the only ones i could get.) try slp on a lowered car. that is scraping on everything!!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CATCH ME
you guys should all stop crying about your pacesetters. my friend has a 2000 ss and he is lowered 1.5" and he doesnt scrape with his pacesetters and y. i have SLP's and that waas the worst decision i have made on the car yet. (was forced into buying them because i needed a set overnight and they were the only ones i could get.) try slp on a lowered car. that is scraping on everything!!
I cry for good reason. I bet you didnt rip a hole in your Y in less than 2 weeks...
Old 04-04-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

2" with pacesetters sounds like a bad y pipe install to me i have pacesetters and tsp ory with pro kit and i have 3.5 inches clearance it can be done
Old 04-04-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

My Pacesetter Y-pipe is going on tomorrow... got the LT's installed this evening and fired them up. Nothing like the sweet sound of open headers My car is pretty damn low but I still believe I can fab the pipe for decent clearance. I have some scrapes on the bottom of my car from being so low but most of them are on the bottom of the K-member and tranny crossmember. There were light scratches on the stock Y-pipe but nothing serious.

www.supahrich.com/highres

You may be able to tell from some of those photo's how it sits... it has a slight rake to it so clearance gets a little better the further back the exhaust goes. I should have plenty of photo's tomorrow to show how much room I have left.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

i can fit my fist under the y pipe long ways, i have about 4 inches of clearance with my pacesetters and my car lowered 1.25 inches. i dropped the front down to about 1.75 inches and i have about 3.5" of clearance now, i know its over 3 inches. pacesetters tuck up really good, just put the pipe in and adjsut it right and u will have no issues. i would recommend poly motor mounts so u dont have to worry about any ypipe banging
Old 04-24-2005, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

well I finally got the headers and Y pipe installed and as I had figured I lost 3/4 inches of clearance so I'm down to barely over 2-1/2 inches. (about 2-5/8 to be exact).

Needless to say the stock springs go back in the car this week.

Quick Reply: Y pipe clearance w/ lowered car