PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck won't start early in the morning?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start early in the morning?!?!?

My truck wouldn't start this morning. (2000 Silverado 5.3 A4) It would crank, fire, then die. I don't know if it's VATS because it would just catch, then die (maybe 1/2 second). It happened a week ago when I went to leave for work but I got it started after a few minutes of trying. I called my wife at lunch and it started / ran just fine for her.

Where to start? I'll plug in HPTuner tonight and see if everything looks ok. Assuming there are no codes/obvious problems, where do I look next? Fuel pump is original, filter has ~20k on it. The only common denominator I can figure out is that the two times that it happened it was the first work day of the week and it was ~30-35* out. It ran fine all winter and was ok this weekend (it was in the 50s). Maybe something in the gas?

I think this truck knows that it's all paid for and I'm thinking about a replacement. The "Service 4WD" light came on last week and now this.... Now do I want a new 1500 crew cab, GTO, or new Mustang GT?

Thanks for reading this.... Any help is appreciated.

-Matt
Old 04-04-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think its related but my car started randomly doing the same thing crank/fire/die. Turns out my 6yo factory battery had started leaking acid on the +post. I cleaned up the terminals, put in a new battery and its been perfect since.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck did the same thing when my alternator began to give up and wasn't charging the battery very well. It would turn over, but did sound a little weak. It would fire off and then die. I couldn't tell the first couple of times, but it began to become obvious is was battery related after that.