Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP catted y ground clearance comparison??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default QTP catted y ground clearance comparison??

I put on my QTP's with the catted y this winter. I took my time and got it to tuck up as nice as I could.

That damn left cat is right under the brace. I left about 1/2" between it and the body so it would not hit.

I am not really pleased with how little ground clearance I have now. I have no problem with the fit of the QTP, it had plenty of adjustment. This is what I get for a pipe this big there I quess.

My car is about 1/2 lower than stock.

Does anyone have more than 3 1/2" clearance between the cat and the ground???

I scrape coming out of my garage. Unfortunatly for my job (insurance adjuster) I have to go to mobile home parks a lot. Some of them have huge speed bumps. I don't want to rip the damn thing off.

I tack welded each connection 5 places or so. It is clamped well.

Am I going to rip this thing off on a speed bump, or just beat the crap out of it??

Thanks!!!
Old 04-04-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 3 3/4" with stock springs/shocks/rims and tires. My drivers side cat is also right below the brace, it just about made me cry when I took a hammer to a brand new cat to "make" it fit. Yeah there's plenty of adjustment but it would be nice if you could tuck the drivers side cat up a little more. If it wasn't for that one part I could probably pick up another 1" of ground clearance.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have 4.25" with the Catted Y-Pipe.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Regular

Well maybe my questions should be:

How much clearance do I need?

And has anyone ripped off their y-pipe??

How much clearance is there on a stock car to the factory y-pipe??

I was going to measure mine, never got to it before I tore it apart.

There were plenty of scrapes on the stock pipe at that same location. I guess I a mostly concerend with tearing the y-pipe off
Old 04-04-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

All you can do is be careful. The cats are not the limiting factor with the stock Y-Pipe. Whereas, it is with the aftermarket Y-Pipe because of the location of the driver side cat. I had my car lowered 2" with the Hooker ORP and had to use caution with speed bumps. I usually went over them at an angle.
Old 04-04-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was wondering about this...

what if you just pushed the Y and catts all the way up against the car...so its actually got pressure on the floor board, i mean if its up against the floor then it wont move right? like weld it to where its upagainst it really good...(not weld it to the floor board)..but to where its pressed up against it...just a thought, i dont know if it would work, but seems like it might...could be wrong though...

Jon
Old 04-04-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
i was wondering about this...

what if you just pushed the Y and catts all the way up against the car...so its actually got pressure on the floor board, i mean if its up against the floor then it wont move right? like weld it to where its upagainst it really good...(not weld it to the floor board)..but to where its pressed up against it...just a thought, i dont know if it would work, but seems like it might...could be wrong though...

Jon
Sounds like a good way to start your carpet on fire!

Plus, the drivetrain needs to move independently, and the exhaust moves with the drivetrain
Old 04-04-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fasteddyss
Sounds like a good way to start your carpet on fire!

Plus, the drivetrain needs to move independently, and the exhaust moves with the drivetrain
ok, i figured it was prolly not ideal, but i wanted to know....
Old 04-04-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Are you sure it's the cat that is scraping? I also scrape coming out of my garage, but it is the bolts on the clamps that are BARELY scraping the concrete. Not the pipe itself. Then again, I have an ORY. Sorry if that was no help.