Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can I home port my stock 01 exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can I home port my stock 01 exhaust manifolds

I will be installing a small cam in my TA probably a 218/224 114 LSA cam, and being that I live in Cali I can't get longtubes, and going to shorties is'nt worth the money for the few ponies I would get, so can I port out the stockers and expect any increase in power, is this a waste of time-(I have more time than money) Any suggestions on what tools are cheap but work well, and any other advice like how much can i take off, how smooth should i make them, etc?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d james
I will be installing a small cam in my TA probably a 218/224 114 LSA cam, and being that I live in Cali I can't get longtubes, and going to shorties is'nt worth the money for the few ponies I would get, so can I port out the stockers and expect any increase in power, is this a waste of time-(I have more time than money) Any suggestions on what tools are cheap but work well, and any other advice like how much can i take off, how smooth should i make them, etc?
IMO, I wouldn't deal with messing with them. They flow pretty good for being manifolds. They probably flow just as good as shorties do.

But if you have the time like you said, why not give it a shot and see what you get out of them. I would like to know the results
Old 04-05-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

u can go with longtubes in cali as long as u have cats. not many people roll with a cam on stock manifolds cuz it simply wont breathe as well and u probably wont get all out of the cam that u can. ask some of the california board members and they will tell you in cali u can go up to a 224 cam with lt's. i wouldnt mess w/ the manifolds.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ported mine out to the gasket dimension. I can't say it
made any difference (the head ports are not as large as
the gasket holes, but whatever).

I used a carbide burr from Ace Hdwr and an electric die
grinder and it went through the cast iron easily.

The cats are the restriction, not the manifolds, in the
stock exhaust plumbing.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

cats suck...that's why you take them off...
Old 04-05-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

hey jimmy weren't you going heads/cam soon?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Worthless
Old 04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would get LT's, and if you dont pass pre-test visual, then put the stock exhaust back on. That's what I'm gonna do.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 PM
Launching!

another reason I was wondering, is because this place sells CNC ported stock manifolds and claim a consistant 10 rwhp from them. Of course we all know how companies like to inflate their horsepower numbers. Anyway this is the site http://www.hinsonsupercars.com/ls1Performance.htm I would love to get longtubes, thats what i had on my other car, but right now i live in an apartment and am going to school full time, so I really don't have the time or place to pull headers every 2 years just to pass. I want to go with a TR 224, but being that I will be in school for the next 4 years makes me stray from it since I won't have the tools or place to change the valvesprings, thats why I was thinking the smaller cam, unless I can find a performance place to change them for a minimal amount.

Quick Reply: can I home port my stock 01 exhaust manifolds