Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

catbacks

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:47 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default catbacks

If I were to say to you I want a cat back

1. thats has just a slight rumble at idle
2. little to no drone
3. when you nail it it clears its throat and sounds mean
4. has more of a deep mellow rumble than loud raspy one

This is going on a truck w/ a 5.3. I've looked at magnaflow, but they seem to be too raspy, stainless steel works chambered exhaust sound awsome, but I'm afriad it would be to loud if I decided to add mid/long tube headers down the road. Corsa sounds amazing but they seem too high pitched for me. I do like the hooker areo chamber muflers, but the lack of cat back turns me off becuase I don't know of any quality exhaust shop up here in maine. I think my big problem is that I'm too dang fussy... any help steering me in the right direction would be appreciated.. oh and I've spend way too much time at ls1sounds ... i still hear them in my head now...
Old 04-05-2005, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

I have the Hooker Cat back on my Camaro, and the Aero chamber muffler qualifies on all 4 of your requirements. However it is on my Camaro. I did have a 2000 Silverado Z71 and I had a custom Cat back with a Glasspack as the muffler. To be honest it sounded great and wasn't annoying at all. It did exit strait back with 2 Stainless Steel tips. What ever you decide should sound good though, hope I helped.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My magnaflow has a deep, mellow rumble with no rasp and zero drone. I think the only time you would have any rasp, would be with an offroad pipe. I have stock cats and exhaust manifolds.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:19 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rtr2001ss
I have the Hooker Cat back on my Camaro, and the Aero chamber muffler qualifies on all 4 of your requirements. However it is on my Camaro. I did have a 2000 Silverado Z71 and I had a custom Cat back with a Glasspack as the muffler. To be honest it sounded great and wasn't annoying at all. It did exit strait back with 2 Stainless Steel tips. What ever you decide should sound good though, hope I helped.

Yes and no

You reassured me that I want the hooker's, but now I have to worry about finding a good exhaust shop to make the system up for me
Old 04-05-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PSM
stainless steel works chambered exhaust sound awsome
You will never get tired of the sound with headers.
Old 04-05-2005, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

sounds like mine: catted macs into bullet muffler I had from my dynomouth, followed by a magnaflow 2OTL (custom of course) 18'' case. Plus a cutout for the track.