Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

On the way to the store...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 06:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On the way to the store...

A funny thing happened on the way to the store yesterday. The wife and leave the house and hit a fourway stop. There is a Highway Patrol camaro 2 cars ahead of us making a left hand turn. The wife and I are talking and I hear him take off. He steadily let into it, you know give it gas , let the rpms come up, give gas again. He did it until he shifted into second at which point he had to begin to slow down for another stop sign. I also make the left hand turn.

I am still 2 cars behind him. I asked my wife if she heard what he was doing, of course not. So I draw her attention to him as he leave the stop sign. At which point I turn down the radio. He takes off, builds rpms, and rips second gear causing the back end to jump around a bit. She and I laughed about it. What is that saying "Absolute power corrupts absolutely."
Old 04-06-2005, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

And you know, had you ran up next to him and badassed around him. he would have promptly pulled your *** over and handed you a huge ticket.
I really do not like police. I feel most if not all of them have gone power happy.
Hell i've seen cops flip on the blue lights to go through red lights. only to turn them back off and keep cruising.
Bastards.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Hell, back in TX when I was a youngun, the cops were always thrashing their cars.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mimic42100
Hell i've seen cops flip on the blue lights to go through red lights. only to turn them back off and keep cruising.
Bastards.
thats every stoplight here
Old 04-06-2005, 11:09 AM
Rok
TECH Apprentice

the way I see it is that they make **** money for a shitty job. so I think they are aloud to take advantage every so often. I'm not saying this doesn't bug the hell out of me because it does, but I can understand.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would probably be on the department shitlist for vehicle repairs.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's cousin is a Florida Highway Patrol officer.. with a Z28 patrol car.

Ohhh if only
Old 04-06-2005, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Hell yah that is the only reason I would consider being a cop is if I would get a sweet camaro like I see alot of the highway patrol driving in my area, (gas budget+no emissions+have the freedom to mod away)===badass......crap pay, but awesome none the less

Remington
Old 04-06-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Remington H.
Hell yah that is the only reason I would consider being a cop is if I would get a sweet camaro like I see alot of the highway patrol driving in my area, (gas budget+no emissions+have the freedom to mod away)===badass......crap pay, but awesome none the less

Remington
Yeah it would be nice to get paid to drive a Z28 instead of having to pay to drive one.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rok
the way I see it is that they make **** money for a shitty job. so I think they are aloud to take advantage every so often. I'm not saying this doesn't bug the hell out of me because it does, but I can understand.
I feel the same way about the UAW. I hate them cause they make cars so expensive to buy......but I also want to be them. Ahhhh the perks.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Around here most cops START around 50k. Not gonna retire anytime soon, but not bad pay.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silver-Dollar
I would probably be on the department shitlist for vehicle repairs.
LMAO you and alot of people here too.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:46 PM
High on diesel fumes

Bastards.
They do get calls that are priority calls but not serious enough for them to go lights and sirens....when they do this, they are on their way somewhere. I went on a ridealong with local police one night and the guy was explaining the different priorities of calls. Just an FYI, but I thought the same thing before.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Rok
TECH Apprentice

Around here most cops START around 50k. Not gonna retire anytime soon, but not bad pay.
50K isn't bad for a normal job, But to put my life on the line I would have to be paid a a lot more. In a perfect world teachers, policeman and fireman would be the millionaires not musician's and sports figures.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

Bastards.
yea the fire trucks even do that around here
Old 04-07-2005, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rok
50K isn't bad for a normal job, But to put my life on the line I would have to be paid a a lot more. In a perfect world teachers, policeman and fireman would be the millionaires not musician's and sports figures.
Us here that are low rank and in the military get paid about half that and our life are on the line too. Especially those over seas right now.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:42 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by Rok
In a perfect world teachers, policeman and fireman would be the millionaires not musician's and sports figures.
I agree completely.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:06 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
I agree completely.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

And you know, had you ran up next to him and badassed around him. he would have promptly pulled your *** over and handed you a huge ticket.
I really do not like police. I feel most if not all of them have gone power happy.
Bastards.
WHOA this is totally the WRONG idea here.

First off I am law enforcement affiliated so I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

When we go through a light like that, it's a priority call, but not enough of a priority to flip on the lights and sirens full blaze and make everyone pull over. I.E. A call of a suspicious person vs. gunshots.

DO NOT assume that just because you think a cop was 'messing around' or 'abusing his/her power' that they actually were.

The cop in the above story may or may not have been fooling around. Maybe he had somewhere to go and was just getting there in a timely manner, and didn't know how to drive a stick properly, I.E. without burning tires.

It's my advice for EVERYONE here to go to your local P.D. and go on a ridealong. It's a great learning experience and you get to see it from the other side of the badge.

Around here starting pay is 70k a year for a rookie cop. 70k to put your life on the line every second that you're wearing that badge. I risk my life on a daily basis for everyone here, and so do the thousands of other officers nationwide.

And yes the cop LS1s are sweet. Stripper versions, cop gadgets, guns, and some are regular paint jobs (usually white, but with no markings), a few of those 'plainclothes' cars are boosted. Watch out for the CHP if you're ever in CA. I've had the pleasure of driving them many times (not the boosted ones.. only got to do that once).

but really, before you go shooting off your mouth about a cop abusing his power or what have you, consider a few things. Do you know what that cop is doing? Do you know if he's going to a call?

Cops ARE NOT 'out to get you' unless you're street racing. I don't condone street racing at all. If you guys want to get together in an out of the way area (farm roads or something) where there is NO ONE and NO HOUSES and make sure that NO ONE will get hurt, then go do it. But it's still stupid and you should go to the track on grudge nights instead.

- urbanhunter44.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:07 PM
High on diesel fumes

I agree (again) with the ridealong comment, the one I went on gave me a whole new perspective....