Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hmmm... something to be learned from studying deposits on cylinder heads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 07:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hmmm... something to be learned from studying deposits on cylinder heads?

I've been studying a set of 15k mile ls1 heads I have, and noticed that most of the intake port is black, but there are some white areas of the port. These white areas look like deposits of fuel, and give clues to path of the atomized mixture. There is a good amount of white deposits on the swirl ramp and around the valve guide protrusion. Also In some areas of the port wall and valve bowl. The areas of these deposits are consistent in all the ports so it must mean something. I wish I could post pics.

I guess my question is, has anyone else studied an intake port and seen the same thing...and possibly used it as a guide when porting your own head?
Old 04-06-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, ive seen that everytime i pulled a head off of a high mile LS1.

what you see as "clean" areas, is where the majority of the fuel contacts the walls....

the darker areas is where the fuel doesnt reach the walls to "clean" them... so deposits form....

i wouldnt use it as a guide for anything besides getting a idea of the injector spray pattern when the air is flowing thru the head.