Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Duty fees when shipping tires to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Duty fees when shipping tires to Canada?

It's nearly impossible to find Nitto's in Canada so I'll most likely be ordering a set from a US company such as Discount Tire, etc.

I'm wondering if anybody here has had tires shipped to Canada from the US, and if so, how much were you charged in duty fees (and for how many tires)?

If duty fees are too high, then I'll just get other tires, so this is valuable info to me!

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Launching!

TireTrends in Canada carry Nitto tires at fairly good prices.

Many people who purchase tires from the US based discount tire stores will have them shipped to either an installer or UPS office in the US that is close to the border. They then drive down and pick up the tires and just declare them when they cross back into Canada. That way you only pay the taxes. Some crossings only collect GST, some also collect PST

This is only an option if you live within an hour of so of the border.

Otherwise check out TireTrends.

Harry
Old 04-09-2005, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

I looked into this when trying to buy some Michelin X-Ice tires for my Grand Prix. If the tires are made in a NAFTA country, there is no duty - just shipping and GST (and don't forget that pesky dollar conversion and brokerage fees). However if they aren't built within NAFTA they are subject to an 8% duty.

Now even if they are built in the US (which I'm sure these are), the company shipping to you has to fill out a form confirming their origins.... and tire rack won't do it. So they basically screw you 8%.