'98 Z28 vs. other years

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 04:46 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default '98 Z28 vs. other years

Guys,

Despite having too many freakin' F-bodies already, I am really hungering for an A4 equipped LS1 that I can turn into either a bracket racer or a "serious effort" drag car. My wife's '00 B4C doesn't count as she has forbade me to modify it past the lid and free mods that I already did. My other LS1's are all M6 and I'm not bringing a knife to a gun fight (bracket).

I have been looking at A4 LS1 hardtops for this potential project car, and there are some nice deals on stock or lightly modded ones, but of course the cheaper ones are '98's. I know that the '98 is the "weird" year due to the different heads with perimeter bolt valve covers and has a metal gas tank. It also has the disadvantages of the LS1 intake and more restrictive exhaust that both were improved in '01 and '02 (actually the '00 had the better exhaust set up, but still the LS1 intake and EGR). The exhaust of course doesn't matter as a stock one would soon be ripped off.

Anyway, after that long wind-up here is the question: Given my goal (make an "inexpensive" bracket/track car), would you go ahead and buy a '98 to save money up front? Or would you hold out for a later model year, but pay more initially? And... why?

Sorry for the novel length post, but to give good input you have to understand what I want to do.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Todd, my '98 has 100k miles on it and is holding up nicely There really aren't any disadvantages of a '98 over other models if you're going to mod it.

<--- Danny on AFB
Old 04-08-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

I debated this exact question last year prior to purchasing our Z28. In the end, the heads and everything are going to be swapped out, so the not-so-good heads/intake/exhaust thing shouldn't be an issue. The only issue is th computer, if you plan to use it. If you go with a stand alone, or upgrade to a newer '01-'02, it doesn't matter. We purchased our A4 Z28 for a smoking price and out of state, local Z28 were priced $3000-$5000 more! If it is going to be a serious bracket race car, then go with the best deal, regardless of year.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:50 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Thanks Danny and George. You brought up a good point, I've heard something about the PCM in the '98, but forgot what exactly why it was disadvantageous. I wasn't paying attention because at the time I wasn't even considering a '98. What is "wrong" or "different" with the '98 PCMs?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

When tuning or running without a MAF sensor (SD Tuning), you have a lower resolution on the VE table. The earlier VCMs used two table to control the AF when there is no MAF signal. Later model VCMs used only one. Nothing major, I am able to do pretty much anything with my 1998 VCM, I am hoping to have it run very low 10s (possibly high 9s) as a NA 346 CID.