Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where can i get a head job done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 05:27 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where can i get a head job done?

I have a set of 317 6 liter heads that I ported myself. I was running a set of TEA stage 2 LS1 heads and removed them to put these on and it ran the same numbers at the track, so I assume they flow decent. I want to get them flowed and touched up professionally before I put them on my new motor so I contacted TEA today to find out how long it would take to do this and he told me he wouldn't even touch them since someone else did the porting. WTF?! Does anybody on here know of a reputable head porter who would be willing to help me out? Thanks guys.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

from the title it sounds like you should start in the red light district...

but back on topic, you might try some of the other sponsors --->
Old 04-07-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by L-EATER
I have a set of 317 6 liter heads that I ported myself. I was running a set of TEA stage 2 LS1 heads and removed them to put these on and it ran the same numbers at the track, so I assume they flow decent. I want to get them flowed and touched up professionally before I put them on my new motor so I contacted TEA today to find out how long it would take to do this and he told me he wouldn't even touch them since someone else did the porting. WTF?! Does anybody on here know of a reputable head porter who would be willing to help me out? Thanks guys.
You were not told we wouldn't touch them. You told me you had a set of heads you hand ported and you wanted to see how well they flowed and may want a valve job and to have the port professionally touched up.
I stated that we could flow test them for you and we could also valve job them for you but we would not do any port work on them because I have no idea how they have been ported. They may be killed already or they may be perfect I wouldn't know until I saw them. But it ussually takes more time fixing othe peoples mistakes as it does to fully port a cylinder head. So then it is not cost effective nor time effective to the customer to take the job.
You never mentioned about them out performing our stage 2 heads when you called.
Good luck with your combo.

Last edited by BrentB@TEA; 04-08-2005 at 12:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

first off, sounds like you didn't quite listen to TEA as closely as you should have.

second, if TEA won't touch them, you may try contacting other sponsors that port heads. that would include Futral Motorsports, MTI, Bo White, the list goes on. Good luck!!
Old 04-09-2005, 10:58 PM
11 Second Truck Club

I just got a little irritated because I called TEA a couple months ago and inquired about getting this done (I wasn't ready to do it at the time, was just checking options) and I was told "sure just let us know when you get ready" Now I am ready and I get told "no we won't do it"

I never said they "out performed your heads" just that they ran the same. When I had you guys dyno tune my truck a year and a half or so ago, it had your heads on it and made 404hp at the wheels. It ran a best of 7.86 in the 1/8th in that trim. Not long after that I pulled the motor down and when it went back together it had the same cam,etc- the only difference was my heads instead of the stage 2's. I never dynoed it like that but it went 7.88 in the 1/8th.

I am sure I can find another reputable shop to help me out, and after I do I will post up the flow results for anybody who cares, whether good or bad.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. Lot of things go into a track time, not just the heads. I think the real test of your home port job would be to flow them side by side on a bench. As far as touching up someone elses work. OY!
Doesnt matter what business your in, no one likes to fix other people mistakes.
As far as TEA goes I've had nothing but positive experiences in chatting with Brent. I will be buying my heads from them as soon as I can scrape up the cash. Those 1.5 rev 2's call to me in my sleep.