Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What ORY fits the MAC mid's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default What ORY fits the MAC mid's?

The Macs don't fit snug to my Borla I-pipe ... leaving a leaking 1/32" gap all the way around the pipe ... and they're rapsy as hell around 2500-3000 rpm. Anybody know what would be a good replacement for the MAC ORY???? Something like the TSP ORY ... would it fit better?

Trevor@TSP ... any idea? anybody?
Old 04-07-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a custom made up. Running duals. Bought the pipes of a board member.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom is the way to go. Search for good setups and most have a good collector...

Save your pennies, buy a FM merge collector, and enlist an exhaust shop to help with the fabrication...you should come in at under $200 and have a pipe that outflows anything you can buy yourself.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I read the Topic I was like "Duh, Mac ORY!" LOL! Yeah sounds like you may have to go custom, you could call TSP and see what they can do for you.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Joseph from TSP replied and told me pretty much they don't a particular ORY for the MAC mid's. As many folks as there are who have MAC's, I would think there's someone out there who might make a custom pipe specifically for them ... without having to enlist a local welder. As was indicated, you guys are probably right.

Thanks for all your input ... anyone here ran into this and found an easy solution?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, to answer your question. When I installed my Mac mids w/ ORY I had the Mac catback and it didn't match up either. I had the same problem as you. I ended up having to go to parts store and get some exhaust wrap (not exactly sure what it's called). That has fixed the problem for the last 2 years.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Default macs

Originally Posted by Deamon2002
When I read the Topic I was like "Duh, Mac ORY!" LOL! Yeah sounds like you may have to go custom, you could call TSP and see what they can do for you.
I like mac's complete setup.There a fair price,work well,plus stand by warranty.Long tubes are the **** though.What kind of performance did you see with your 1.8's...im doing that now
Old 04-11-2005, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

You could cut a small slit in the I pipe & slide it back on, put a good band clamp on it really tight. It should seal up a 1/32 gap. I have macs & it leaks slightly around the I pipe.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:14 PM
TECH Addict

Default misspelling

There's already small slits on the end of the Borla I-pipe for that purpose, however, it's as tight as it will go with a band clamp and I would'nt want to cut the slits any wider or longer. I will go out and take another look at that ... just don't wanna' mess up the I-pipe.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:42 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

heres the best solution; buy some LT's
Old 04-11-2005, 05:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Might want to try going to Home Depot, get a
roll of the aluminum flashing and cut enough to
wrap 2-6 times around the pipe as a gasket of
sorts. Way tougher than the foil tape. That
should get you plenty snug, just keep trimming
back the spiral until it barely fits and the band
can "keep" it with some authority.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Buy some LT's? Well, let's see ... hmmm. LT's aren't planned until the MAC's rust and right now they're ported as true to 1 3/4" as any LT's I've looked at and they're giving me good numbers ... about 2 years from now for the LT's, so, I don't wanna' ride around sounding like *** for 2 more years ... would rather fix the leak ... LOL!!!!

As for the aluminum that's probably gonna' be the fix, however, I have to buy a good band clamp. I found out the hard way that once you torque them down and they heat up over time, well, they break real easy. The ones that came with the Borla catback are good stainless clamps, so, I guess I'll ordered the one I broke where the leak is (tonight, online) ... and a couple of spares.

I went to the auto parts store a few months back and bought some of the wrap stuff and I put the car up on ramps and climbed up under it tonight. I thought it was leaking worse than it was, but, the leak was only on one side and it's not making much noise ... come to find out, the major noise was caused by that DAMNED heat shield between the gas tank and the muffler in back. I bought a strip of the real thick exhaust material (almost like leather) and the car sounds normal now ... just a small leak and that's it.

I have the fix already (and most LS1 enthusiasts should appreciate this) j/k. It's my QTP cutout that was rebuilt and it's own it's way back as we speak. If my car gets too loud, just open that bastard up and drive the livin' **** out of it!

Thanks for weighing in on this and feel free to comment further.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember correctly... Tally Trans Am had a custom ORY that fit well. Might want to do a search.
Old 04-17-2005, 05:33 AM
Banned

Tally's setup looked good and worked even better.