Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noises pissin me off

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noises pissin me off

when my car sits for a while, like 8 hours or so, then it makes an "EERRRRRRRRRRRR" noise when i start it up. it'll go away after a few seconds, but while i drive i can faintly hear either the same noise sparatically or a different noise that comes and goes. i hear it comin from the vent thingy right in the middle under the windshield. its not air/heat related, sumtin in my engine is messed and i need to know whut it is!!
Old 04-08-2005, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Did you take off your air(smog) pump when you installed the ory. I'm willing to bet it's your air valves fluttering. If you don't install restrictor plates when switching to headers it burns up the valve. Since you have an ory, I would just ditch the pump.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

i had speedinc install, and have no idea how they did it. so i can just remove the air pump, or do i hafta install restrictor plates too?

Last edited by jermz77; 04-08-2005 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Either put restrictor plates on, or pull the pump and hoses and just block off the fitings. My advice pull the pump, you do not need it without the cats now. Cleans up the bay a little bit as well.
Rob
Old 04-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

what do i block off the fitings with? preferrably something i can go to the store and pick up today
Old 04-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Staging Lane

You need to make or buy two plates to block off the AIR fittings on your headers. There should be one on each header. Since yours is a 2000 there should be two fittings on your passenger side header, one for the EGR and for the AIR system (the EGR goes directly into the top of your intake manifold, the AIR system goes up the tube into a larger fitting, then a rubber hose snakes around the back of the intake and down the driver side fender to a pump located underneath the fuse boxes.) To answer your question, sponsors sell plates or you can get some scrap sheetmetal or stainless steel and cut them out and drill two holes in them for the mounting bolts. Use your gaskets that are in there now. Do a search for AIR removal and you should find plenty of pics and information.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

had car sit for about 8 hours, no noise on startup. so it only seems to happen on cold startups.